Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: the numbers are in...

1. Back To Top    #1

the numbers are in...

Just double checking myself to make sure I will be adding the right stuff tomorrow. The water is clean and clear. But the calculator says I need to tweak some things. Here are my current numbers.

FC 2 (will add bleach to get this to 4 tomorrow)
    CC 0
    TC 2
    pH 7.9ish
    TA 180 (will add 136 oz muriatic acid to lower pH to 7.2, then aerate to bring pH back up) SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS PART IS CORRECT AS I AM UNCERTAIN
    CYA 39ish

My pH has risen steadily since we put in the slide and deck jets. Also, we have been averaging 8+ kids in the pool everyday. Has all this natural aeration made the pH rise. Thoughts?
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: the numbers are in...

You are correct, both to the cause of the pH rise, and how to fix it. Just keeping pH adjusted down at the low end and running the slide and all should be enough aeration.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just to add, remember to help ensure a trouble free pool, keep you FC above 3 ppm (from poolcalculator using 39 ppm cya) at all times.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks everyone!

P.S. richard, you have such a friendly face! Love seeing it pop up in my posts!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

5. Back To Top    #5

three hours ago, I added 164 ounces of muriatic acid. I retested and these are the new numbers

pH in-between the two bottom colors
    TA 160

How long should it take for the TA to lower to 100?
    Is there something else I should be doing, or do I just wait?
    When should I retest?
    Can the kids swim for a bit?
    Will they turn into yucky sea creatures if they do swim?

They are all waiting on the deck in their mermaid suits!
    Theresa and/or Gary

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If your have SOME chlorine in the pool and the water is clear, go SWIMMING!!

You can typically swim within an hour of adding muriatic.

Now, back to your TA. It won't lower any further until you perform the process described in pool school. Essentially, the next step is aeration so the kids should provide that. At the end of their swim session, I expect your pH to have risen back up but the TA will remain unchanged. It will lower the next time you add acid....then put the kids back in and have them splash around to get the pH back up.

Read the article in Pool School.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Now I understand that it is a process. thanks!
    Theresa and/or Gary

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by 8corneflakes
    Now I understand that it is a process. thanks!
    If you want to speed it up, play around a little with some PVC pipe and make something like this

I imagine the kids will be able to develop some sort of game involving a fountain or water jet.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

the kids do that with the water noodles. good times!
    Theresa and/or Gary