Booster pump diagnostic question

tcrb

Bronze Supporter
Aug 14, 2010
Houston, TX
Hi all. I have a Pentair 3/4 hp booster pump (Model LAO1N). Came home from work tonight and noticed that my cleaner wasn't moving around, so the first thing I checked was the booster pump. The motor was running and the shaft was turning, but I could not hear the impeller rotating and there was water leaking from that side of the pump.

This is my first pool and also my first experience with pool related equipment failure, so before I rush out and start ordering repair parts I want to get an idea of what I need for sure. I'm guessing that someone here can tell me what the problem is?

Do I repair, or should I just replace the whole pump? I see one on ebay for $220. But an impeller is only $32 if that's all I need. Any ideas/suggestions?

BTW, love this site.

Thanks for the quick response Richard. So you think it's just a seal? Part# 3 in the link you posted?

The motor is not bolted down to the pad so I think I can separate the motor from the volute fairly easily. The I'm guessing that I just need to remove and replace the seal? Are there any special tools needed or any particurlar precautions I need to take?

tcrb said:
Thanks for the quick response Richard. So you think it's just a seal? Part# 3 in the link you posted?

The motor is not bolted down to the pad so I think I can separate the motor from the volute fairly easily. The I'm guessing that I just need to remove and replace the seal? Are there any special tools needed or any particurlar precautions I need to take?
I dunno. Never had one of them apart. And when I had to fix my main pump, I just hauled it to the pool store and let them do it all. Had it back in 2 hours, for $30. 'course that was the slow season.... But since I was going to have to make a trip there anyway to get the seals, it just seemed simplest. I have thousands of dollars worth of mechanics tools, a die grinder, gear pullers, even access to a hydraulic press at work, but I don't mind paying for someone else's experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.