Question about connecting hayward pump to filter w/picture

May 6, 2012
Endicott NY
I was given this pump and filter by my neighbor. I just set up my first pool and clueless on the set up. My question is, what do i need to buy to make a solid connection between the pump and filter? My neighbor had a long hose connecting the two. Is there any reason to have the hose? i would like to make a union connection to clean it up. Are these common home depot type parts? or pool store? Thanks for any help.

I don't know if the hoses are in the correct position...I just hooked them up where they seemed to fit

George

IMG_1621_0.JPG

Re: Question about connecting hayward pump to filter w/pict

Well it is hooked up backwards, you may want to download the manual for the filter from the hayward web site, it looks like yours is a model EC55 Perflex DE filter (best guess, it may be the predecessor of that model)

Water should go from pool to pump strainer basket, then through the pump, outlet from pump connected where you have the big loop on the front of the filter below the pressure gauge, return to pool from the outlet fitting at the top of the filter. (connection on the back is for draining and backwashing DE compound) These are designed to work with a standard Hayward brand pump like the SuperPump series where the filter would face forward on the base and a special split elbow fitting would connect the outlet on the pump to the inlet on the filter, this probably would not line up with the pump you have.

Ike

p.s. the label on the front should tell you how many pounds of DE compound should be put in the filter, running too much or too little will destroy the membranes, I just had to replace mine because my roofers took it upon themselves to "clean" the filter after they dumped stuff in the pool, then ran it for hours with no DE compound in the filter

I am pretty sure that is not how things are supposed to be hooked up.

The front of the pump should be connected to the pool (that is the suction side). Then from the top of the pump into the filter (not sure where) and then from the filter back to the pool. The third connection out of the filter is a drain I think.

Sorry I am not familiar with that filter.

Thanks,
I figured it was not correct.... I got it all apart, and just put things where they fit for the picture. I though I could just unbolt the impeller and reposition it to point to the filter and connect it. Is this not correct?

most impellers are not built so they can reverse (they are built so they sling the water to the outside), also you want the strainer basket to catch things before they get to the impeller.

rpm90001 said:
Thanks,
I figured it was not correct.... I got it all apart, and just put things where they fit for the picture. I though I could just unbolt the impeller and reposition it to point to the filter and connect it. Is this not correct?
Nothing is ever that easy.

I'd connect things the way Isaac explained, and get the thing running. Once you know it all works, you'll also be able to figure out how much hard pipe, how many unions, how many elbows you'll need.

Boy, sure does look like I can just reposition it and elimanate the hose. I have seen so many direct connected, I thought I could do it. Thanks for the help

I was not talking about the impeller it's self, but the housing just rotate it 90 degrees after removing the 4 bolts and be bolt it in the new position

It appears that you're talking about rotating the discharge of the pump to the side instead of the top where it is now. While it's possible to do that on some pumps I can't tell if that's one of them (though it appears to be).

Then you would hook it directly to the inlet of the filter via a union connection. That would work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.