Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return jet issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Return jet issues

So i have 2 return jets in my pool. They are original to the pool (20 years), the eyeball is gone, and they are quite deteriorated (most likely due to lack of pool water care over the years but is fixed now because of me and tfp). If you touch them, plastic dust and chunks come off.

So i went to remove them to replace them, but they do not have a ring that can be turned! I am unable to turn them no matter what i do. They also do not have any indentations in them for using a ruler or other removal tool.

Is it normal (20 years ago if you will) to glue returns in place?
    Any suggestions how to get them out?
    How do i know what jet/eyeball size should i buy?
    If they are threaded, is there a standard for the thread sizing?

It looks like 1.5" pipe - is that a standard?

Thanks very much to anyone with any help on this!
    1992 15X30 14000 Gal IG plaster, Pentair 011018 - Intelliflo VS Pump with Timer, 350 lb Sta-rite hrpb30 sand (yeah, the 32-bolt clamshell)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Return jet issues

There are a couple of different kinds of return fittings. If you see what is essentially the end of a PVC pipe then it is probably designed for a friction fit connection. If there are threads on the inside of the pipe then it is probably a standard 1.5" return fitting that a standard eyeball fitting will screw into. If you have threads on the outside and it sticks a little way into the pool, try turning it with a strap wrench, it should come out and leave you with inside threads.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Good info Jason - you were right on as usual.

So they were friction fittings - and they were extremely difficult to get out - look like a dog has been chewing them for a couple days after me and my tools got to them. Glad to say that the pipe and surrounding plaster is fine

So now I need to find replacements. From what I can tell, they went into the wall about 1.5 inches, have on OD of 1.5 inches, and the "stem" that goes into the pipe in the wall is bulged.

I'm sure the bulging is to create a tight fit.

So now I need to shop for replacements.

What are the good ones? Hayward?
    What diameter eyeball should I get? I have no idea what they used to be!

Thanks for the help!! (again)
    1992 15X30 14000 Gal IG plaster, Pentair 011018 - Intelliflo VS Pump with Timer, 350 lb Sta-rite hrpb30 sand (yeah, the 32-bolt clamshell)

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

http://www.usapoolpros.com/pentair-p...ts-542002.html

5. Back To Top    #5

I want to get the return fittings installed because the surface is not staying clean - need to get this water swirling.

does anyone have any advice?
    1" ? 3/4"? 1/2"? 3/8"?

#confused

How do I know that the "stem" bulges so that it stays in the pvc pipe? do all slip fittings bulge like my old one?

how about this one?

http://bubbaspools.com/Whiteware-and...ath=1672_1682&

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd go with 1" eyeballs. You'll move more water and they're still aimable so you can get the surface action you need.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit