Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Explain Chlorine /CYA chart ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Downingtown Pa, 20 mi w of Phila

Explain Chlorine /CYA chart ?

When I opened the pool, the water looked clean but a dull green. Took all readings: fc-0, cc-0, tc-0, ph-7.5, t/a-70, ch-220, cya-0, temp 72. I broadcast 12# of baking soda, put 8# of conditioner in socks in skimmers, and 3 gallons of 12% liguid chlorine. Since the water did not clear, I added 2 more gallons. The next morning the fc-1.5, cc-.5, t/a-120 which seemed good but water remained the same. I thought maybe I never fully shocked the pool, so I dumped 5 more gallons in this morning. The socks should be empty by tomorrow, I'm waiting to clean filter (over 13 dp) and my readings tonight were fc-1, cc 1.5, Do I just wait ? WHAT'S UP ?
    28K,IG,Plaster,1HP Amer Std, 48 Sq' Titan Vert Grid DT Filter, Hayward Auto Chlorinator, Jandy Ray Vac Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: Explain Chlorine /CYA chart ?

Shocking the pool is not a one time event. It is a process where you maintain shock level based on the CYA level until you meet three criteria to determine that you are done shocking.

You need to follow directions for the shock process outlined in Pool School here:
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Explain Chlorine /CYA chart ?

You asked about the chart in the title, but then never make reference to it in the post.

8 lbs of stabilizer in a 28k gallon pool will raise your CYA by 34ppm.

Rounding up to 40ppm, on the chart you see the minimum FC is 3ppm (never go below this) and the target is 5ppm (not as important as always staying above the minimum). The shock value is 16ppm. So during your shock process, you need to elevate the FC and keep it ABOVE 16ppm continuously until you pass the 3 tests in the Shocking Your Pool article allowing you to stop.

You just have to keep adding liquid chlorine until whatever is in the pool is broken down and you start to maintain a FC level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!