Pool excavation in North Alabama

kyle11

May 17, 2012
We have been planning our semi DIY pool install in North Alabama but can't seem to even get it started as we can't find a excavator that has either done a pool or knows what they are talking about. I have called over 10 local excavators. 7 do not do pool digs, one wants $3500 which is way to much IMO, one is reasonable at $1000 for 5 hours and $150 an hour after that and one wants to dig a 8 foot hole and build it back up with crush and run to form the slopes. I am about to go crazy as I thought this would be the easiest part of the process. If anyone has any references i would loves to hear them. We are about an hour north east of Birmingham. I have tried a few PBs and none will even talk to you unless you hire them for all the work and buy their pool.

I think I got very lucky. I am doing a DIY this year and we are also building a home. My home excavator (the first one) was a major hack and screwed up quite a bit, his idea for the pool was "heck yeah I can do it, never done one but its just digging one big hole". Anyway, after I fired that excavator I got a new one which did amazing work. I never even asked him about a pool, we were just chit chatting and I mentioned I would be putting a pool in. He said that was a large part of his business over the summers, he contract for XYZ pool builder. When I told him I was DIY he said "thats great, the hard part is the dig, once we get it dead on the rest of the install is cake" so he is doing the dig something in July!

Sorry, doesnt help your situation just wanted to show that sometimes you get lucky!

That "Just dig a hole" thing is funny because that is what this last guy that came out basically said. He was clueless. On the phone he sounded like he knew what he was talking about when I was explaining that I wanted a pool excavated and explained it had slopes going from 3.5 ft to 8 ft and I could provide a dig sheet. My wife just walked inside the house when he said he could dig a hole 8 feet deep then fill it up with crush n run to mold the slopes. Even she knew thats not how its done. I know my way around machines having grown up on a farm but I don't think I could get the slopes right or I would attempt it. Just very Irritating. The 1st guy has done pools a while ago and I think he could get it done right but his price was unreasonable. At 1st he said probably $1200 or $1500 at the most. Then the next day he came back and said he would have to get $3500 right after he mentioned he checked how much pool are going for. My guess is he saw a pool around here is 25-30K and saw he could possibly make more money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.