Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ZEOsand

1. Back To Top    #1

ZEOsand

Do you really need 1/2 the required sand when using zeosand???

I plan to use zeosand in my new S180T with 1hp pump on an above ground pool with 11,500 gal

Bob

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ZEOsand

I don't recommend using zeo media. Too many people have had problems with it. Though, when it works it works really well.

You use somewhere around half the weight of zeo that you would of sand, but it fills up the same volume that the sand would. Technically, you use enough to fill to the same level that sand would fill, and that often ends up being about half the total weight, or perhaps a little more, of zeo.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I dont understand how there could be a problem with sand, but ok. My new filter and sand arrived yesterday. I followed instructions and put everything together. The feature I was most looking forward to with my new filter (S180 Hayward) is the ability to vac to waste. So my first start up was in the waste position and I vac'd the gunk from the bottom of my pool. Now that it is physically clean I will re check my chemistry today. I had started on chemistry last weekend and have been on travel this week.

I had no cloud or dust issues with ZeoSand, but I did use a PVC cap on my stand pipe while I was filling it. I know they expect you to use cardboard but for what we pay for filters and pumps I am surprised there is not a device mfg to keep the stand pipe centered and free of sand to use when filling the filter up. I used 75# of ZeoSand but ordered based on how much 'sand' I needed. I have 3 25# bags I am not using now...

Anyhow, so far so good.
    Bob

4. Back To Top    #4

Many filter manufacturers do include a plastic cap thing used to cap the standpipe during filling.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Tldga3
    I dont understand how there could be a problem with sand, but ok.
    Well, it isn't the same as sand, otherwise they wouldn't have a selling point, right? The biggest complaint I have seen is sending a powdery residue to the bottom of the pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

It's still a 'sand' filter and it is just media.

My starting psi was around 18psi and yesterday I saw the gauge was at around 25psi. I did backwash and was amazed at what I saw and how dirty the water was coming out. I then rinsed and set it back to filter. For me, its nice to see the water jet pushing the length of the pool. This is so much better than having a paper filter and no multi valve and having to just live with a semi effective filter all summer long. Back to 18psi right after the backwash.

Anyone looking to buy 75# of ZEOsand?