Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting Started Shopping List

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting Started Shopping List

Should have the pool in the next 1-2 weeks and I am trying to get a list of what I am going to need to get it all started so I don't have to drive ~30 miles back to the store to get a chemical.

I am going to be using a SWG so I know I will need salt (160lbs) for my size pool. I was wondering if I should just let the SWG do its thing to get the chlorine started, or should I buy some chlorine to add at first until SWG gets up and going sort of speak?

As far as the stabilizer goes should I just set pool calculator to 0 and buy the amount it says? Same with the borate?

Seeing that borax raises PH (if i'm understanding this correctly) should I go ahead and get muriatic acid?

Sorry if this has been discussed thousands of times, I tried doing a search and couldn't quite figure out what I am looking for.
    6500 gal, Intex 18'x48" above ground, 1hp Pro Sand Filter, TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting Started Shopping List

Use bleach to get your chlorine up to 4ppm. Don't let the SWG get it going. Also, get some extra for keeping it there until the SWG kicks in.

Fresh water won't have any borate or stabilizer. Shoot for 60 on the stabilizer then see where you are, and add as needed to get it between 70 and 80.

You can either add borax and MA, or you can add boric acid as a one-item addition. You are going to need MA anyway, since your SWG is going to keep driving up your pH. Don't buy the "Safer" acid.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The only things I would buy right now is a few jugs of bleach, the salt, enough CYA to get to the target and of course a good test kit if you don't have one.
    It's good to use the pool calculator to figure out how much you're going to need.

Once you have the test kit run a full set of tests except for the CYA test. Then you'll know about what you're going to need. I'd go ahead and test the salt in the fill water too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't have a test kit yet but after reading this site for awhile I've decided its going to be on the top of my "must purchase" list. So should I hold off on buying the borax and MA until after I have done a full chem test? Hoping fill water isn't going to be terrible, it will be filled with well water.

5. Back To Top    #5

Because you don't know which you're going to need hold off on them.

I'd take a sample of your well water to the pool store and have them check it for metals.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I'd take a sample of your well water to the pool store and have them check it for metals.
    Will do. Thanks for the help.