Re-plumbing question

SteveK

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2007
Central NJ
I'm finishing up a pad re-plumb for a new pump, filter, and to upsize the pad to 2" pipes.

The last thing I need to do is hook up the pressure-side to the existing lines going back to the pool. I'd like to use consecutive 2" T's to route to each of the 3 return lines which will each have a Jandy 2-way valve installed. But there is enough space (separation) between the returns to make that happen.

I can make the connection with a 2 inch "cross" -- a 4-way connector that would have 1 inlet and 3 outlets (1 to each return line).

Is there any reason for not using a 4-way "cross" connector -- too much head loss, turbluence, back-pressure, etc, etc or any other drawbacks?

Thanks in advance!
SteveK

I can not see how the cross would be much more head loss as you will likely have the same number of turns as you would if you used a bunch of Tees.

If you only have 1 return open at a time, 2 of the 3 legs of the crosses will effectively be closed so it would seem similar to a 90 turn for the water.
If you have all of them open, the straight through return may get a little more flow than the others.

Thanks for the response Jason.

In playing around with different connectors & layouts (dry fit of course)...I can accomplish the routing using T's. The first T branches off to 1 return line; the second output of the first T goes to another T which will service the final 2 returns. BUT -- I can do this if the second T is arranged so that 1 output goes down to 1 return and the other output goes UP (and over to the final return).

Would there be any issue with arranging a T in the vertical plane as opposed to the horizontal plane? The output that goes UP actually has to flow upwards to meet the water valve for my Paramount bottom returns/corner returns.

Thanks again for any insights on the above.

Does not really matter the orientation of the T.
Ideally you just want as few turns as possible, but increasing the pipe size to 2" made a larger difference than a few extra turns.

I just went through the same process myself 2 weeks ago ... eliminated five 90 degree turns and a heater (that appears to be rusting) from the poorly planned setup to reduce head loss. Unfortunately, I can not be certain how much it helped as I had to replace the pump at the same time so my pressures are way different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.