How much salt to add, new house, 1st time pool owner.

ZSK

May 29, 2012
17,000 gallon pool, just finished the shock process with bleach to kill off an algae issue (green pool). The water as of this morning is clear and all signs of algae have been vacuumed out to waste. I have ordered the TF-100 Test Kit with salt strips but it may not be here until next week. I would like to start adding some salt now, but I'm not sure what my current salt levels are. Will the salt readings from the Intellichlor get me started or should I wait until I get the test kit? I have 280 lbs of Solar salt to start off, but I didn't plan on using all of that at first.

The pool did have some water left in it during the winter, but I also vacuumed to waste 3-4 times to clear the algae issue.

Thank you all for the help!

Are you certain that you passed the shocking criteria? Have you passed the OCLT test?

As for the salt, you could use the intellichlor reading for the time being (just to get started). It is smart to test the salt independently also (which it sounds like is your plan).

The TF-100 ships VERY quickly, so might even get it before the weekend.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Well not sure if I passed the OCLT test, without my own test kit. I did have the local pool supply store test it but they haven't called me back on the results. I could just keep adding bleach until I get the TF-100, but was hoping to start on salt instead of buying more bleach over the next few days.

Thanks again.

ZSK said:
Well not sure if I passed the OCLT test, without my own test kit. I did have the local pool supply store test it but they haven't called me back on the results. I could just keep adding bleach until I get the TF-100, but was hoping to start on salt instead of buying more bleach over the next few days.

Thanks again.
Without a proper test kit, it is really difficult to shock your pool. What was your target FC level? And how many days did you shock for? Without test results several times/day, it is impossible to maintain your FC at the proper level. Your water might look clear now, but if you have CC and have not passed the OCLT, you might not be done shocking.

What day did you order the TF-100? And where are you located?

Located in KS, ordered yesterday. Shows that the kit shipped already, so hopefully I get it Friday. I didn't have a target FC, just focusing on clearing up the Algae and vacuuming all the leaves, debris, etc from the pool. So I guess I'm just asking should I just keep adding bleach everyday for now until I get the kit?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.