Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter entertaining with a pool?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Central Georgia

Winter entertaining with a pool?

Another noob question, but my wife asked me and I have no clue for the answer so I turn to the experts-YOU!

We will be hosting a large evening party sometime close to Christmas, and the wife thought it would be a nice treat to have to pool open, not for swimming, but as the outdoor decoration, with lights and fountain going as the backdrop. Maybe a Christmas tree in the center on a float. We live in middle Georgia, so the temprature shouldn't be below freezing then. So if we close the pool in mid to late September, how much trouble would it be to bring it back to pretty for a couple of days? Major expensive? Lots of time and effort, or should we just keep the cover on?
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Winter entertaining with a pool?

It probably won't even be worth closing. Cut the run time back, keep it clean, and enjoy. Santa in a one person raft comes to mind................Got Flamingos?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

If you close following the directions found here the only thing you'll have to do is put the plugs back in the pump and filter and remove the plugs from the skimmer, throw a little chlorine in it and fire it back up. I wouldn't consider it a big deal at all. Given your location you probably don't bring the equipment inside anyway.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Goldsboro, NC

I didn't close my pool this past winter and it stayed nice and blue thru the entire winter. I have a freeze protection timer (correct name?) so if it gets below a certain temp (mine is set on 38) it will kick on the pump. I would go that route personally.
    22,600 gal. Vinyl Inground, FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, SWG, Dolphin Nautilus