Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Twenty 55 oz boxes of the washing soda?

1. Back To Top    #1

Twenty 55 oz boxes of the washing soda?

This is my first post so I hope I make sense. If I follow the pool calculator, 19,000 gallons, PH and Alkalainty both low (lowest color on the stick) and I want to use A&H washing soda to raise it, I will need to use over twenty 55 oz boxes of the washing soda? (over 1100 oz are needed to raise it to 7.5). Am I doing something wrong? Kelly

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Twenty 55 oz boxes of the washing soda?

Yes, you did something wrong. However, there isn't enough information here to be sure what it was that you did wrong.

The factors that need to be entered correctly to calculate PH changes include:
    Pool Size
    Current PH
    Target PH
    Current TA
    Current Borate

A mistake on one of those fields could produce an invalid result. The most likely possibility is that you entered your pool size as 190,000 gallons, but that is just a guess.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

And leave out the comma
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, if you're using test strips, you don't want to rely on them for accurate testing. It would be better to get a good test kit.