shock process and weather question

Jun 29, 2011
Hiya everyone. I opened my pool to a green swamp this year, frogs, alligators, roof shingles, you name it lol. I have been in shock process since last Thursday and while all seems to be going well so far (following the swamp to oasis thread) today it started raining and will continue to rain for at least 3 days (thank you Beryl).
My question is this... Is there anything special I should do because of the added precipitation during shock process? I dont have a cover for my pool :( but thank goodness I dont have trees anywhere near it. And... Will the extra water lengthen the time I have to spend shocking? I work during the day so I cant tend to it until I get home which is making this take much longer than Id hoped for.
Thanks a million!

Just stay the course, even if you have have to work in the rain. The biggest effect rain has on pool chemistry is that it keeps the operator inside and they neglect their testing and chemistry. The direct effects aren't major, and will be completely covered by normal care.

I was born and raised in Seattle so I have webbed feet, no worries about getting wet!

Here are my chem #'s

As of this morning FC -14, CC - 1.5

Yesterdays readings... TA -100, CH - 90, CYA - 30
At start of shocking... PH - 7.3, my FC hasnt been below 13/14 since starting shock so Ive gotten super high readings everytime Ive tested this.

Am I missing anything? Do I need to change anything?

Thanks again!!

Smykowski said:
While shocking, only test FC and CC. Save your reagents. When you're done shocking, you can retest everything else and start balancing from there.
Oh ok, thats good to know. Thanks! I havnt tested anything but FC, CC and CYA (started at zero) since starting, other than yesterdY. The water didnt seem to change at all the past 2 days aand Im not sure whats going on so I tested everything.

so in one week I have used 19 gallons of bleach and have kept my pool at shock level ever since but my FC and CCs keep jumping all over the place. The water is still super white/grey. I'm backwashing once per day and brushing twice per day. Is there anything else I can do or do I just resign myself to thumb twiddlin' until it clears up? Suggestions please!!!!!!

You should backwash when your filter pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure ... this may be more than once per day. You filter just has to keep trying to catch everything to clear the pool.

jblizzle said:
You should backwash when your filter pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure ... this may be more than once per day. You filter just has to keep trying to catch everything to clear the pool.
Thanks for the quick reply jblizzle!!
I guess I should clarify a little. The pressure has been pretty steady the last couple of days. The first 4 days I was backwashing about every 2-3 hours because it would clog up and the pressure would go up 6+ psi (normal range is between 6 and 8) very quickly. I ended up opening the pump and washing the sand out with my hose 3 times during the first few days, lots of yuk inside :puker: The past 3 days it hasnt budged more than 2 psi each day and I backwash it every time it does. Should I still backwash more frequently?

Thanks!!

FC =11 (down 3 since 9am), CC =2 (up .5 since 9am) added MORE bleach :roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.