Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: shock process and weather question

1. Back To Top    #1

shock process and weather question

Hiya everyone. I opened my pool to a green swamp this year, frogs, alligators, roof shingles, you name it lol. I have been in shock process since last Thursday and while all seems to be going well so far (following the swamp to oasis thread) today it started raining and will continue to rain for at least 3 days (thank you Beryl).
    My question is this... Is there anything special I should do because of the added precipitation during shock process? I dont have a cover for my pool but thank goodness I dont have trees anywhere near it. And... Will the extra water lengthen the time I have to spend shocking? I work during the day so I cant tend to it until I get home which is making this take much longer than Id hoped for.
    Thanks a million!
    Newbie in Hampton, Virginia
    TF-100 test kit
    18' round x52" /Sharkline Heritage /8000 gal /vinyl AGP
    Intex 2650 GPH, 1 HP, sand filter and SWG combo
    Solar cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: shock process and weather question

Just stay the course, even if you have have to work in the rain. The biggest effect rain has on pool chemistry is that it keeps the operator inside and they neglect their testing and chemistry. The direct effects aren't major, and will be completely covered by normal care.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I was born and raised in Seattle so I have webbed feet, no worries about getting wet!

Here are my chem #'s

As of this morning FC -14, CC - 1.5

Yesterdays readings... TA -100, CH - 90, CYA - 30
    At start of shocking... PH - 7.3, my FC hasnt been below 13/14 since starting shock so Ive gotten super high readings everytime Ive tested this.

Am I missing anything? Do I need to change anything?

Thanks again!!
    TF-100 test kit
    Solar cover

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by FricknDawn
    Am I missing anything? Do I need to change anything?
    While shocking, only test FC and CC. Save your reagents. When you're done shocking, you can retest everything else and start balancing from there.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski
    While shocking, only test FC and CC. Save your reagents. When you're done shocking, you can retest everything else and start balancing from there.
    Oh ok, thats good to know. Thanks! I havnt tested anything but FC, CC and CYA (started at zero) since starting, other than yesterdY. The water didnt seem to change at all the past 2 days aand Im not sure whats going on so I tested everything.
    TF-100 test kit
    Solar cover

6. Back To Top    #6

so in one week I have used 19 gallons of bleach and have kept my pool at shock level ever since but my FC and CCs keep jumping all over the place. The water is still super white/grey. I'm backwashing once per day and brushing twice per day. Is there anything else I can do or do I just resign myself to thumb twiddlin' until it clears up? Suggestions please!!!!!!
    TF-100 test kit
    Solar cover

7. Back To Top    #7

You should backwash when your filter pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure ... this may be more than once per day. You filter just has to keep trying to catch everything to clear the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    You should backwash when your filter pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure ... this may be more than once per day. You filter just has to keep trying to catch everything to clear the pool.
    Thanks for the quick reply jblizzle!!
    I guess I should clarify a little. The pressure has been pretty steady the last couple of days. The first 4 days I was backwashing about every 2-3 hours because it would clog up and the pressure would go up 6+ psi (normal range is between 6 and 8) very quickly. I ended up opening the pump and washing the sand out with my hose 3 times during the first few days, lots of yuk inside The past 3 days it hasnt budged more than 2 psi each day and I backwash it every time it does. Should I still backwash more frequently?

Thanks!!

FC =11 (down 3 since 9am), CC =2 (up .5 since 9am) added MORE bleach
    TF-100 test kit
    Solar cover

9. Back To Top    #9

Just backwash when the pressure is 20-25% higher.

If your clean pressure is 6psi then backwash by 8psi; 7 BW by 9psi; 8 BW by 10psi
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!