Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a little advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Need a little advice

Guys,

I have an interesting situation. My pool is cloudy but I cannot figure out why... here are my current numbers:

FC 7
    CC 0
    CYA 45
    PH 7.6
    CH 80
    TA100

The water is very clear in the shallow end (3') but cloudy in the deep end (8'). You can see the main drain but just barely! When the pool first became cloudy I shocked, then I did the OCLT last night and FC dropped from 7 to 6.5 while CC remained 0. To me that means I don't have organics... maybe this is a filter issue? I tapped on the exterior of the filter with a rubber mallet last night but that doesn't seem to have had any effect. The next thing I was going to try was adding DE to the filter... here are some photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need a little advice

How's the circulation? Is there a main drain and is it drawing?

Personally, I'd keep it at shock level for another day at least, as you haven't passed the 3rd test - "the water is clear".

If you sure you have good circulation in the deep end, and the chlorine is high, then put some DE in there. Expect pressure to rise quick, it filters out really small stuff.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I am only posting to agree with what you both are saying. I think you need some more filtration but I would keep it at shock one more day sorta' being extra safe...like wearing a belt and suspenders.

(Nice Largemouth, by the way.)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

How long have you been doing the shock process? Sand takes awhile, and it sounds like you just haven't given it enough time to work.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Circulation is fine - main drain is working well, skimmer is pulling well through skimmer socks changed daily, and I've backwashed regularly when the pressure gets high.

The thing is, I don't think its algae... the pool became cloudy with 5ppm of FC in it. Algae can't get a foothold unless the FC gets below minimum levels, right? I think that there is dust/pollen that the filter is not trapping, and when the pool cleaner runs it kicks it up causing the cloudiness, but I could be wrong

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Perform an OCLT to eliminate algae as the source.
    Dave S.

7. Back To Top    #7

I did the OCLT last night: FC dropped from 7 to 6.5 while CC remained 0. I'm beginning to wonder if my filter sand is channeled...

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Sorry, I missed that. It is definitively not algae then. filtration is all that's left. Some people use a clarifier with great success....others have no luck at all. Your call.

When did you last inspect your sand bed?
    Dave S.

9. Back To Top    #9

I've never taken the multi-port valve off and visually inspected the sand bed... I'm exhausting all my other options first

10. Back To Top    #10

What's the filter pressure reading?
    24k gallon inground gunite with fibertech liner
    Cartridge filter 100 sq ft

11. Back To Top    #11

Just got home and was greeted by a green deep end

Tested water and FC is 4, CC still 0! I only lost 1.5ppm of FC during the day today and nothing in the pool is consuming chlorine, how can this be?

12. Back To Top    #12

Sounds like you never completed the shock process. With a CYA of 45, you need to get the FC up to 16ppm, and keep it there (adding as much bleach as often as necessary), until you pass all three criteria.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

13. Back To Top    #13

All right, I took the bull by the horns and brought the FC up to 20ppm. Then I added enough FiberClear to the skimmer to raise the filter pressure by one pound. Be interesting to see what she looks like in the morning

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by wkener2
    All right, I took the bull by the horns and brought the FC up to 20ppm. Then I added enough FiberClear to the skimmer to raise the filter pressure by one pound. Be interesting to see what she looks like in the morning
    If you haven't yet, I would test tonight to get a good number for another OCLT. Measure CC as well.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

15. Back To Top    #15

Checked before I left for work this morning: FC dropped to 16ppm, CC still 0. I added more bleach to Filter pressure was up about 4psi from last night. Hard to tell in the pre-dawn, but it looked like the pool cleared overnight!

16. Back To Top    #16

Got home from work, pool has cleared, not crystal yet, but much better than it has been. FC dropped to 8, so I added bleach to get back to shock level. I will do an OCLT tonight. Filter pressure was sky high, so much so that little water was coming out of the returns. I backwashed/rinsed a couple times, then when I set it back to filter and the system primed up I had pure green water coming out of the returns for the first few seconds! Was this algae that had collected in the pipes due to the reduced circulation? Pics from tonight:

17. Back To Top    #17

Got home from work, pool has cleared, not crystal yet, but much better than it has been. FC dropped to 8, so I added bleach to get back to shock level. I will do an OCLT tonight. Filter pressure was sky high, so much so that little water was coming out of the returns. I backwashed/rinsed a couple times, then when I set it back to filter and the system primed up I had pure green water coming out of the returns for the first few seconds! Was this algae that had collected in the pipes due to the reduced circulation? Pics from tonight:
    Did you use the rinse cycle? What you probably saw was the crud that hadn't finished being backwashed suddenly getting reversed back into your pool. At least you know you're filtering something out!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

18. Back To Top    #18

Yes, I rinsed after each backwash... how long do you typically run the filter on rinse for?

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes, I rinsed after each backwash... how long do you typically run the filter on rinse for?
    I don't. I have a DE filter without a multiport valve. It's either filtering or backwashing, no other choices.

20. Back To Top    #20

I run rinse until water is clear...ends up being 30 seconds or so.

Good luck on the OCLT (make sure you test tonight and not just assume a level due to how much chlorine your adding)
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast