Pump help

jimmy6

May 21, 2012
Hi I am a new pool owner. Just bought a 24ft Intex pool. It has the Krystal Clear 2650 sand filter pump. I let the pump run on filter overnight. Then it is off during the day. I backwash it then turn it back on for overnight...problem is...each morning there is sand in the bottom of the pool... Any ideas?

Welcome to TFP.

Is the sand coming from the return? You can hold a sock or stocking over the return while the pump is running to find out.

If it is then there's something wrong in the filter and you'll have to break it down to find out what.

Apparently with the Intex sand filters there's the possibility that some sands are better than others even if the particle size is within the correct parameters. There was discussion here last season about sands, I'll see if I can find it. Ace Hardware's pool sand, as I recall is supposed to be a good one. I can't remember the brand name but you'll find it on their website.

Here is something else you might consider. When I purchased my pool two years ago, I had the same problem. Sand was coming out of the return. As it turned out, the Hayward pump was manufactured incorrectly. One of the arms on the folding umbrella was put on upside down, creating a large space for the sand to flow through into the return. It was easy to repair. Removed most of the sand (hard part) and just removed the arm and replaced it in the correct position. That one arm of the didn't fold all the way in like the others did, to bad it wasn't noticed before it was hooked up.

Joel

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.