Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump help

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump help

Hi I am a new pool owner. Just bought a 24ft Intex pool. It has the Krystal Clear 2650 sand filter pump. I let the pump run on filter overnight. Then it is off during the day. I backwash it then turn it back on for overnight...problem is...each morning there is sand in the bottom of the pool... Any ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump help

Welcome to TFP.

Is the sand coming from the return? You can hold a sock or stocking over the return while the pump is running to find out.

If it is then there's something wrong in the filter and you'll have to break it down to find out what.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes it appears to be coming from the return....

4. Back To Top    #4

Apparently with the Intex sand filters there's the possibility that some sands are better than others even if the particle size is within the correct parameters. There was discussion here last season about sands, I'll see if I can find it. Ace Hardware's pool sand, as I recall is supposed to be a good one. I can't remember the brand name but you'll find it on their website.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Here you go intex-sand-filter-sand-problems-t34307.html

Good stuff here about Intex sand filters, sand, sand filter sand, and troubleshooting sand in your pool. Second page has the full recommendation on "sand" itself.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, Thanks. I will look in to this..

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is something else you might consider. When I purchased my pool two years ago, I had the same problem. Sand was coming out of the return. As it turned out, the Hayward pump was manufactured incorrectly. One of the arms on the folding umbrella was put on upside down, creating a large space for the sand to flow through into the return. It was easy to repair. Removed most of the sand (hard part) and just removed the arm and replaced it in the correct position. That one arm of the didn't fold all the way in like the others did, to bad it wasn't noticed before it was hooked up.

Joel
    Victor
    21,000 gal plaster
    Hayward Pro Series S244S Sand Filter