filtering a large kiddie pool?

May 30, 2012
Hi, I signed up here hoping to get some help because I just can't find any info on my problem. I have an inflatable pool, 10 by 6 feet and about 2 feet deep. I live on premises at work with a very small yard and cannot drain and refill the pool every few days. I bought an intex pool filter and tried just dangling the hoses over the edge but it wouldn't suck up any water. I was wondering if there is a way to make it work or if a pond or aquarium filter might work? I would really like to keep it up all summer without changing the water. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help :-D

With a pool that small you could get a boat oar to stir the water when you add bleach and use a Battery operated pool vacuum such as a catfish, or a pool blaster to clean the dirt out of the pool. You can get a tarp and cover the pool when it is not in use to help keep it clean.

Are you sure you bled the air out of the Intex filter properly? The little valve on the very top bleeds the air out. You can hold the hose up higher than the filter, open that valve, then dump some water into the hose to get it started. I don't think they pull anything if just putting into the pool first before trying to manually fill the hose and filter up with water. Once filled up, then the water should start to flow when draped over into the pool.

It was cloudy but I ended up draining it and refilling it today. I've been using chlorine, sanitizer, an anti algae liquid, and bleach. It was only filled for the first time two days ago, could something grow that quick?

Ok. Just wanted to verify you were sanitizing it. You do not need anything besides bleach and a little stabilizer and ability to adjust pH.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Welcome to tfp, NikkiMc :wave:

Definitely read the link that jbliz posted above on temporary pools, it will really help you!

Which intex filter do you have? In general intex cartridge filters do not work great, but in you situation, it might work (and not be worth replacing) just make sure you clean it every time the flow decreases returning to the pool.

Managing water in a small pool is a lot like managing water in a big pool, except you get the luxury of being able to easily dump it and start over. Having said that in additoin to bleach you need 2 things, first you need to get some CYA stabilizer in your water (this is available at wal-mart, lowes, etc.) from memory 4 pounds probably cost around $15. Pool calculator says a 10x6x2 ft pool holds 900 gallons, you will want about 30 ppm of CYA in your water to buffer the chlorine from sunlight (too much CYA is also bad), for your size pool you want to add 3.5 oz by weight of 3.8 oz by volume (say a touch under 4 oz on a measuring scoop, you need to be close, but don't have to be perfect) of CYA stabilizer to your water. CYA disolves very slowly in water, the best way to get it is to tie it up in an old sock and kneed it several times a day until it is gone.

You will also need a way to test pH and Chlorine, I suggest buying the cheap $10-$15 drop based OTO Chlorine / pH test kit available at Wal-Mart, Lowes, Ace, etc. (you don't want test strips, they may look easy, but are notoriously inaccurate), while your there you may want to buy some pH down (dry acid). With the test kit you can maintain safe chlorine levels in the pool, once you add the CYA stabilizer, try to maintain 3-4 ppm of chlorine, don't let it drop below 2 or get much over 5ppm (the OTO test will only read up to 5 ppm), using the pH test match the color on the pH scale, you want to keep it between 7.4 and 7.8, use the dry acid (pH down from the pool department/store) to lower pH (a little goes a long way, you wll likley be working with 1-2 ounces at a time) and use Soda Ash (Arm and Hammer Washing Soda) (or pH up which is the same stuff, just cost more from the pool store) in the unlikely event you need to raise pH.

Test daily, dose as needed

Reactions: jcodyssey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.