Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GotOneRunning

1. Back To Top    #1

Loudoun County, VA

New homeowner that came with pool.(Previous owners did not open it since 09. Short sale home) So far, it's been a nightmare. I had a company come in 3 times now and they seem to do the same thing. Throw some shock and chlorine tabs and call it a day. They refuse to vacuum the bottom of my pool, because the debris is too thick and they are scared to drain too much water on waste since it's a vinyl pool. Any suggestions about vacuum techniques on vinyl pools? The water is green and cloudy right now.
    23,500 GAL, IG, Vinyl, FNSP 36 DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: GotOneRunning

Welcome to TFP!

For thick debris a leaf net is more effective than vacuuming. The vacuum will clog very quickly.

If you haven't already, take a look at How to Turn Your Green Swamp into a Sparkling Oasis.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like the exact story with our house. This I do know - The old home owners were dumping the lawn clippings in prior to losing the house on top of not opening it for two years.
    I spent about two hours every day when I got home from work for two weeks to get all the debris out of the bottom. The pool was green & I was doing it blindly, so I brushed everything to one side, then scooped it up with a deep net. The guys you talked to were right. Don't drain the pool down & I wouldn't run the pump until most of the debris is out.

You should get a water sample & take it to your local pool store for a good reading once you get that junk out. If your pool is that green, with leaves & stuff, then shock isn't going to do too much. The algae will eat that chlorine right up.
    26,000 Inground Vinyl, 16' x 32'. Pentair Intelliflo SVRS, with 30" Hayward Pro Sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to tfp, Gotonerunning

Definitely get the leaf net out and get as much of that organic material out that you can. It will take a lot of work, but will be worth it. Let us know if you have questions.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.