Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I drain my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I drain my pool?

I am just about to re-read Pool School, but I'm asking for a second opinion in case I should start on it right away. The very nice pool man who was here fixing the pump answered a few questions I had for him. He said our black algae looked so bad that we maybe should consider draining the pool and treating the walls. It is seriously so covered! Disagreements with my Pool Man (brother in law ) have kept our CYA far too low in my opinion, so I've begun to add CYA (while he's in the hospital) and actually see the results on my test strips (don't hate me). Pump is working better now that it's repaired, and the real heat hasn't set in yet but it's supposed to be in mid 90s Friday. I've been using Calcium Hypochlorite to shock it and finally got some chlor tabs that have CYA. While pump was off for about 4 days I tested and put in about 4 cups of CalHypo and we brushed as much as we could.

CYA 20
    TA 120
    pH 7.8
    FC .5
    TC .5
    TH 1000
    Waterford, California
    16,000 gallon IG, Plaster, High Maintenance Pool in an agricultural area, with a constant North Wind and 11 very tall Poplar Trees (leaves from top to bottom) 30 feet North of the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I drain my pool?

How often have you been using "CalHypo"??? If your numbers are correct, I would maybe suggest a drain....but not because of your algae. Your calcium numbers look WAYYYYY to high

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Draining is always an option. What will the water cost? The pool can probably be cleaned up with chlorine for less than 150.00.

Importantly, however, it is going to go right back to it's current condition (regardless of draining or cleaning it up) unless you make a decision to learn how to manage your water.

You are going to need a test kit capable of measuring chlorine up in the 20ppm or higher range and you are gonna need to read and ask a lot of questions and it wont be fast.

I know I sound a little harsh but you need to know up front that you have quite a bit of work and learning ahead of you but it can be done and we will help if you decide to do it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, Leebo, we were discussing that we needed a partial drain for that reason also. Dave, I guess I missed that rule, very sorry. Thank you for fixing it.
    Waterford, California
    16,000 gallon IG, Plaster, High Maintenance Pool in an agricultural area, with a constant North Wind and 11 very tall Poplar Trees (leaves from top to bottom) 30 feet North of the pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Drain...because calcium hardness is too high. If you decided to shock...it would raise your calcium even higher.
    24k gallon inground gunite with fibertech liner
    Cartridge filter 100 sq ft