Should I drain my pool?

May 17, 2010
I am just about to re-read Pool School, but I'm asking for a second opinion in case I should start on it right away. The very nice pool man who was here fixing the pump answered a few questions I had for him. He said our black algae looked so bad that we maybe should consider draining the pool and treating the walls. It is seriously so covered! :( Disagreements with my Pool Man (brother in law :wink: ) have kept our CYA far too low in my opinion, so I've begun to add CYA (while he's in the hospital) and actually see the results on my test strips (don't hate me). Pump is working better now that it's repaired, and the real heat hasn't set in yet but it's supposed to be in mid 90s Friday. I've been using Calcium Hypochlorite to shock it and finally got some chlor tabs that have CYA. While pump was off for about 4 days I tested and put in about 4 cups of CalHypo and we brushed as much as we could.

CYA 20
TA 120
pH 7.8
FC .5
TC .5
TH 1000

How often have you been using "CalHypo"??? If your numbers are correct, I would maybe suggest a drain....but not because of your algae. Your calcium numbers look WAYYYYY to high

Draining is always an option. What will the water cost? The pool can probably be cleaned up with chlorine for less than 150.00.

Importantly, however, it is going to go right back to it's current condition (regardless of draining or cleaning it up) unless you make a decision to learn how to manage your water.

You are going to need a test kit capable of measuring chlorine up in the 20ppm or higher range and you are gonna need to read and ask a lot of questions and it wont be fast.

I know I sound a little harsh but you need to know up front that you have quite a bit of work and learning ahead of you but it can be done and we will help if you decide to do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.