Opinions on placement options.

May 29, 2012
This is my first post here, we are going to get my son an Intex pool for his birthday in a couple of weeks. I am going to start prepping and leveling the area tomorrow but I am having some issues deciding on the best placement for the pool. I am kind of overwhelmed, but trying to figure out the best placement and take it one step at a time! :shock:

We have enough grass area for up to a 24 ft, but it would eat up most of the yard, and we have 3 dogs who need the grass for play and pottying. Then we have a very level concrete area that is 11ft x 28ft, and a large non level concrete area with plenty of room for any of the intex pools.

I am thinking we will end up going with the 15x48 Intex, either the blue, or the grey (which is sturdier I believe?) I would like to go as big as possible, but with the added costs of leveling it might be the most we have room for in the budget.

If it goes in the large very non level area, I am thinking I will need to build a wood frame several feet larger than the pool, use pond liner or similar, and then have approx. 3 cubic yards of sand delivered to fill the area, then add foam or some other liner, then the pool. That is a lot of sand to try to deal with if the pool needs to be moved or something.

The place we really want it is the too small area next to the garage. Would it be possible dig out the grass and use pavers/sand to extend the concrete area then use foam over the whole thing. Can you forsee any major problems from having it partially on concrete, and partially on grass as long as the whole thing is level and stable?

The final and possibly most complicated option would be to cut some railing from our existing deck, remove a large ugly bush, and put the pool next to the deck, this would also be a existing concrete/part leveled former grass and paver area.

I don't see why you couldn't extend off the level concrete area with pavers and sand. As long as you set the pavers level with the concrete, you shouldn't have any troubles IMO. Others should comment with their opinions soon.

Oh and maybe some pics of the prospective pool areas may help us help you. :goodjob:

Welcome to TFP!

Thanks! I will try to get some pics tomorrow, we've got major storms rolling through right now!

That is another question actually, I assume these pools will do fine during major thunderstorms?

Leveling to the exisiting concrete area sounds like your easiest/best option.

I would recommend against digging a large area and trying to level it with that much sand, a thin layer of sand 2-4 inches isn't too bad, but more than that and I think you would be asking for trouble.

If you want to level a large area like that use small gravel, or screenings, then put your foam on top of that.

Regardless of where you set it up, be sure to remove all the grass, and the first couple of inches of top soil, that will prevent major settling, and some have stated that the grass left under a pool will begin to rot and smell.

Good luck.

FWIW I agree with Casey. I just set up a 20' on a concrete pad that is large enough to accommodate it, but I can't think of any reason at all that I couldn't have put some of it adjacent to the concrete if it was, as you say, level and stable. Should be fine! Be sure to level out a bit more than the diameter because the legs do jut out a bit. My 20' needed an extra 6-8" or so of foam taped on to the 20 x 20 square of foam to go under two legs that extended out past that footprint. Good luck, Happy Swimming, and Welcome to the Forum!!

I am so glad to know that it should be fine to extend the flat area using pavers, this gives us much more freedom to get a good placement without having to dig up the entire yard!

Is there a specific kind of paver I should be looking for? The flat square ones would probably be the easiest shape for this, and close to the right depth to level the area, but are they strong enough?

We are using the 8" x 16" x 4" for ours.

To me the 4" thick will be less likely to break under the weight.

The pool bottom itself should only have 1.53 PSI, but I have no way to calculate the weight on the supports legs, so I would rather spend a few extra bucks and not take any chances.

8" X 16" will give a nice footprint.

Ok, so can you all critique my plan?
Tomorrow I will break out the chalk and find the best placement for such a large circle, then after my husband mows it as short as possible use round up in the area to start killing the grass.

Then find the lowest point and start digging/leveling. Hopefully when we remove
the sod it won't be too hard to level the ground so 4in deep pavers sit flush with existing pad.
Then add pavers, and either crushed rock or sand, tape foam together, then tarp and liner.

This is going to be a major job!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.