Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what looks like rust stians inside fiberglass pool....

1. Back To Top    #1

what looks like rust stians inside fiberglass pool....

Hello

I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get what looks like rust spots inside my fiberglass pool also my tiles that I had put on the pool are also stained. I just had this pool put in October 2007. It is a saltwater pool and I opened the pool up on Thursday it was green now it is clear but I see rust spots. I took the water to be tested at Leslie Pools here are the test results:
    The test results are from Friday since then I've added a gallon of bleach a day to this pool
    TAC: 0
    FAC: 0
    Water PH 8.1
    Total Alkalinity: 120
    Calcium Hardness: 310
    CYA: 50
    Total Dissolved Solids 3000
    Salt: 3.2
    If someone can give me some idea how to get the stains out I would appreciate it.
    14 x 32 Fiberglass Pool 10K gal. Hayward Pump and Sand Filter. Autopilot SWG Dig 48 and Heat Siphon 3.25sx Heat Pump.

The Pool Calculator
    Chlorine/CYA Chart by Chemgeek

2. Back To Top    #2
    Hold a vitamin c tablet on the stains. If they disappear in about 30 seconds then follow the sticky on using ascorbic acid to remove metal stains.
    IF they don't then your stain is not iron. (Iron staining is very common in fiberglass pools and often either comes from your fill water or using food grade salt which contains iron salts as anti caking agents.)

While you are at it you might want to take a few minutes to read the sticky on water balance for SWGs. You might find it helpful.

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for the reply. im using solar salt blue bag from home depot
    14 x 32 Fiberglass Pool 10K gal. Hayward Pump and Sand Filter. Autopilot SWG Dig 48 and Heat Siphon 3.25sx Heat Pump.

The Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4
    Solar salt wont cause the staining. It's what I use in my fiberglass pool. It might be coming from your fill water or the rusting of something metal in the pool. Check any exposed screws. Sometimes they are a very cheap grade of stainless or not stainless at all and can rust. Just replace them with stainless ones and you won't have further problems.

5. Back To Top    #5

I will check the screws on the pool. I bought the pool from Waterworld Pools I was going to call them but I figured go on the forum first. Thanks so much for your help.

The Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6
    Hi Aim. Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!