Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to maintain fc with bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

how to maintain fc with bleach

I'm currently using an in-line chlorinator (with 3" pucks). My fc won't hold. It drops slowly over a few days. I can't figure out if i have algae or bad chlorine pucks. my water looked really good saturday but my ph was a little low so i added some ph+ to it. it imediately clouded my water and it's SLOWLY getting better. my FC was 2 saturday and cc was .5. i checked it today and fc was 0. i've put bleach in it to get it up to 4.0 which is where the chart shows it should be with cya=50.

is there a formula that shows how much bleach to add each day to maintain fc or do you just have to test it daily and use the calculator? the pucks would be very convenient but i'm about to give up on them. any thoughts?
    Jeremiah Hough

22,000 gallon, vinyl liner, chlorine, with auto cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to maintain fc with bleach

The amount of chlorine you need varies from pool to pool, season to season, and with things like the number of people swimming. There is no one setting that will always work, no chart that says add this quantity and you are good. There are levels you can aim for, but the quantity required to reach that level varies. Beyond that, you also need to get your other levels right and make sure you don't have algae or other obvious problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Daily testing and dosing is the way to go. After several weeks, you'll learn what "normal" is for your pool, and can sometimes get away with just adding the "normal" amount without testing, and adjusting things properly the next day.

And DO lose the pucks. They add CYA to the water. The chlorine breaks down, the CYA does not. It just builds and builds and builds until there is no "unstabilized" chlorine available to kill algae, and pretty much no amount of chlorine will clear the pool.

If you don't have a proper test kit, get one. Now. You may very well be on the verge of an algae bloom, and you'll a good test kit to tame the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

FWIW, 4 is the very minimum.FC should never get below 4 with a CYA of 50. See this link pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock but if you have been using pucks I have a feeling your CYA may be much more than 50ppm. Daily testing, putting those results into the pool calculator and adding the appropriate chemicals in the correct amounts is the way to go. 10-15 min a day and you can have perfectly clear and sparkling water. But you need a high quality test kit!
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

i have the tf100 test kit. i was just trying to get an idea of the what it would cost to maintain it with bleach vs pucks. obviously bleach is the way to go - i was just curios if it would cost more or less. maybe i'll just use the pucks when we know we are going to be gone for a couple days.

any chance the pucks i have are bad?
    Jeremiah Hough

22,000 gallon, vinyl liner, chlorine, with auto cover

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by miahhough
    i have the tf100 test kit. i was just trying to get an idea of the what it would cost to maintain it with bleach vs pucks. obviously bleach is the way to go - i was just curios if it would cost more or less. maybe i'll just use the pucks when we know we are going to be gone for a couple days.

any chance the pucks i have are bad?
    The pucks are fine. They are hard to kill when properly stored.
    Lots of folks save them to use for vacations.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

In general, Trichlor pucks/tabs are more expensive when you account for the pH/TA adjusting chemicals you need to add. See Cost Comparison of Chlorine Sources. Though the prices are old, the relative prices still roughly apply.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"