Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising pH

I am having trouble getting my pH back up here.
    I just finished shocking my pool. I have a CYA of 30, TA of 120 (last check about 1 week ago). My FC is at 6 tonight.
    2 nights ago I added three pounds of soda ash because my pH was at about 7.
    It appeared to stay at 7 when I checked the next day so I added a full 4 lb box of borax.
    Checked the pH today and it is at about 7.2.
    I thought I would be at about 7.5 according to the pool calculator.
    Any thoughts on why things are going up so slowly?
    16 x 38 inground pool, 20K gal, vinyl liner, 0.75 HP Hayward Superpump (SF 1.0, 115 V), Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount 24" sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate and 3.1 sq ft effective filtration area, Kreepy Krawly cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising pH

Perhaps your pool holds more water than you think?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The pH might have been below 7. If you shocked with dichlor or trichlor, then the pH would go down. If you have 50 ppm of borates in the water, that will reduce pH rise.

4. Back To Top    #4

What ph kit are you using. The taylor drop based kit reads 6.8 for anything below that. Some of the cheaper kits only read 7.0 for everything below that. My guess is your ph might have been quite a bit lower than 7.0 when you started.

As JamesW said, borates will also buffer ph changes.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Any chance that you accidentally used dry acid, instead of pH increaser?

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the responces.
    I do believe my pool holds more water than I "thought". The pool calculator defaulted to 10,000 gallons so my calculations were all off!!
    I have fixed that.
    I do use the taylor drop kit. I never thought that my reading will not go below 6.8. I guess I could have started lower than I thought but it was unreadable. My color coded deal goes from 6.8 to 8.2.
    I don't have borates, so I don't think that is the problem.
    I shocked with liquid chlorine, so tri and di chlor are not the problem.
    I am sure that I did not use dry acid to try and raise up my pH. I used borax.
    16 x 38 inground pool, 20K gal, vinyl liner, 0.75 HP Hayward Superpump (SF 1.0, 115 V), Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount 24" sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate and 3.1 sq ft effective filtration area, Kreepy Krawly cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jordangregory
    I do believe my pool holds more water than I "thought". The pool calculator defaulted to 10,000 gallons so my calculations were all off!!
    I have fixed that.
    Yep, I think you got it figured out. At 20000, your ph would have gone up ~0.15 with addition of 4 lbs of borax with a TA 120 ppm (according to poolcalculator). Is your pool rectangular and what is the depth(s)?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Rectangular pool. Shallow end is about 3.5 feet deep and deep end is about 7.5 feet deep.
    I have calculated pool size before and I am fairly certain it is 20,000 gallons based on some weird layout features in the deep end.

9. Back To Top    #9

Re checked my pH today. pH is back down to 7.2. Two days ago I had it moving up and it was 7.4 ish. What causes pH to trend downwards?
    My TA was 120 a few weeks ago when I checked it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Anything acidic, like muriatic acid or trichlor.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Are you using dichlor or trichlor to chlorinate? Both are acidic so your ph would tend to drop.

I would do a fresh TA measurement to see where your at now.

12. Back To Top    #12

I am using trichlor in a chlorinator. I guess that means I need either keep working on the pH or try to stick with liquid chlorine if possible

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jordangregory
    I am using trichlor in a chlorinator. I guess that means I need either keep working on the pH or try to stick with liquid chlorine if possible
    Yes, that's one of the issues with trichlor. It's very acidic and will lower the pH and TA. You have to be very careful to monitor the pH to prevent it from going too low.

The other issue is the amount of CYA trichlor adds. For your 20,000 gallon pool, every 7 oz trichlor tab will add 1.5 ppm of CYA.