Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Don't have enough suction for skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Don't have enough suction for skimmer

I have a hayward pump and triton sand filter- not that old. I opened the pool to find bubbles on return. sealed up everything I could think of- finally no bubbles- had enough suction to vac through waste, but now I have no pressure.... waste line was working the other day when vac and backwashing, but now does nothing- no water comes out at all.. tried a bladder, you name it and still don't have enough suction for skimmer to keep top clear.. have a huge college graduation party and son Commissioned as 2nd LT- headed off to GA for 8 month and I have tons of people coming for a pool party.. how to I fix this quickly???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Don't have enough suction for skimmer

Does the pump sound normal otherwise? Does the pressure gauge move? I'd look for a clog on the suction side since you were vacuuming. There might be a wad of leaves or something stuck in a pipe elbow, or in the pump impeller.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

I suspect as Richard does that it's a suction clog. Since you said you used bladder to try and clear it I'd suspect the impeller is clogged.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I did not try the bladder on the imppeller side.. I was afraid to damage something. I did have a little pressure, but not nearly what I normaly have. Mind you this is an extremely old pool- concrete... I put a brand new system in about 7 years ago and has only given me a little trouble- usually nothing I couldn't handle on my own... I am trying to find a new O-ring-there is a bit if hissing- is that enough to mess with the suction on the skimmer..?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes a piece missing from an o-ring will definitely cause a problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I checked the o-ring.. looks perfect, but I am going to replace it anyway. Haven't replaced the sand in a while would this be a contributing factor??? I just think it's bizzarre that it was working, I was able to get some vacuuming done and then it started to act up... pressure gauge may be fritzed out but it was registering some pressure... now below 5...it's usually around 10-15...

7. Back To Top    #7

I still suspect an impeller clog. You're most likely going to have to pull the casing off the pump to get at it. You may be able to see into the vanes by pulling the discharge piping off it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator