Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I thought I knew how to get the water clear but I dont..Help

1. Back To Top    #1

I thought I knew how to get the water clear but I dont..Help

Okay I was on here last year and Several people helped me and I had no trouble getting my girlfriends pool as clear as a bell from a green lagoon. This year is another story.

To start with I guess I didnt do a good job of closing the pool because it was green and cloudy when opened.

I have been working on it for a week now and cannot get it cleared up...Please tell me what I am doing wrong, this is reading from a few minutes ago and right after this I added 182 oz of Bleach.

FC - 12
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.2
    TA - 100
    CYA - 35

I have already put like 20 gallons of bleach at least in the pool and have had the FC at 19 for like 12 hours and then the same day did the Overnight test and it dropped like 2.5 overnight.

I have been trying to keep the level up but it is hard with having to buy so much bleach.

I gave in a used 3 bags of Aqua Chem Shock Xtra Blue that she had in the shed from early last year. Ingredients are:
    Sodium Dichloro-s-triazinetrione 63.05%
    Copper (Metallic) 0.26%
    Other Ingred. 36.69%
    Total Ingred. 100%
    Avail. Chlorine 39%

I know I shouldnt have done this but I wanted to get the Chlorine up to Shock level without having to go to town to get bleach again.

I have vacuum to waste multiple times and have had the filter on for a week now straight. I dont see any algae but I cannot see the bottom of the pool in the deep end and barely in the 4 foot shallow end.

Any suggestions. Thanks so much for help and to keep my girlfriend off of my back.
    1) 36000
    2) Sand
    3) In Ground
    4) Vinyl liner
    5) Hayward S244T

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I thought I knew how to get the water clear but I dont..

Ok, a few questions, how and when did you test for the numbers? When did you add the dichlor shock? how big is the pool?
    ps in case I don't get back for a while you need more bleach, also the dichlor would add cya so it will raise your target shock level
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Keep on shockin.
    16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by HoleInOne
    Keep on shockin.
    +1. We've seen plenty of full blown algae swamps take upwards of 2 weeks or more to clear with a sand filter.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, you will need more chlorine. I would not add anymore shock xtra blue for the above mentioned issue of adding cya, and it's adding copper which you do not want or need. Keep your FC at 14 ppm (for cya of 35ppm per poolcalculator.com).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    Ok, a few questions, how and when did you test for the numbers? When did you add the dichlor shock? how big is the pool?
    ps in case I don't get back for a while you need more bleach, also the dichlor would add cya so it will raise your target shock level
    TF-100 test kit that I purchased last year - have been testing daily and more

Dichlor shock was added 3 days ago

Pool is 20' x 40' approx. 36000 from what I can tell. It is like 4 ft in shallow and 8 ft. in deep end.

Thanks for all replies
    1) 36000
    2) Sand
    3) In Ground
    4) Vinyl liner
    5) Hayward S244T

7. Back To Top    #7

Hang in there.........that's a whole lotta pool to clear. MAINTAINING shock level is the key. You seem to be losing more FC than just testing "daily or more" is gonna get it done for you. Hit it good at dusk and test hourly as long as you can overnite.

You should probably raise your shock value from 12 to 16 to be sure. 12 is very minimum for your CYA.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Here are several pics over the last week from the first day forward.

this is pretty much how it has looked for past 3 days

1) 36000
    2) Sand
    3) In Ground
    4) Vinyl liner
    5) Hayward S244T

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd say you know how to clear it - you've done fine so far. Well, except for adding the powdered stuff that just raised your CYA level, which also raised the FC shock level.....

Keep the FC up, keep brushing, perhaps try pulling the light and cleaning out the niche, and when you stop losing FC overnight, consider adding some DE (Or fiberclear)to the filter to grab the superfine stuff.

The pool didn't get green and gooey in a week, it won't get crystal clear in a week.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

This is pic from today...about the same as the last several days.

1) 36000
    2) Sand
    3) In Ground
    4) Vinyl liner
    5) Hayward S244T

11. Back To Top    #11

You got dead algae, that's why it's cloudy. Otherwise, it looks great! Keep shock level maintained, and filter filter filter. It'll clear. Takes time once you get to cloudy blue like this though. You're not done shocking till it's clear. Those cloudy dead algaes will just come back if you let your guard down now. Like zombies...
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

12. Back To Top    #12

How often are you having to backwash?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by linen

That is one thing that has me baffled the pressure is around 12-14 and has stayed there. I have backwashed several times, but i have mainly vacuum to waste. Even when I did not vacuum to waste the pressure did not go up. Last year it would rise. I had to replace the gauge at the start of the year, so should be a good one.
    1) 36000
    2) Sand
    3) In Ground
    4) Vinyl liner
    5) Hayward S244T

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by medic502
    Quote Originally Posted by linen

That is one thing that has me baffled the pressure is around 12-14 and has stayed there. I have backwashed several times, but i have mainly vacuum to waste. Even when I did not vacuum to waste the pressure did not go up. Last year it would rise. I had to replace the gauge at the start of the year, so should be a good one.
    Maybe the filter sand is getting channeled. Meaning, instead of a nice bed of sand crystals, you have sandstone chunks and the water goes through the cracks between them. Open the filter, poke around gently with a stick, then stick a garden hose in there and try moving things around.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Does you gauge go to 0 when the pump is off?

Might be worth trying what Richard320 suggested. http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-sa...-it-t7626.html

Also, adding DE to a sand filter can speed up the clearing process. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-..._a_sand_filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes gauge goes to zero...I will give it another day and see if any improvement. The Filter and Sand were replaced summer before last.
    1) 36000
    2) Sand
    3) In Ground
    4) Vinyl liner
    5) Hayward S244T

17. Back To Top    #17

Like Richard said, consider adding a little DE to the sand filter (this will tend to get flushed out when you backwash), lots of people claim it can help speed up clearing cloudy water with sand filters.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

18. Back To Top    #18

FC is up to 19 tonight and I can smell the Chlorine for the first time tonight when I went out to the pool. I also added 182 oz. of bleach after I got the 19 reading tonight at 9pm.

The water is still as cloudy if has been and I did vacuum again today and got some more leaves off of the bottom of the deep end that I could not see. If not better tomorrow I am going to open up the filter and see if it will help to move the sand around some, as the previous poster suggested. Thanks again

Numbers tonight at 9pm

FC 19
    CC .5
    PH 7.4
    TA 80
    1) 36000
    2) Sand
    3) In Ground
    4) Vinyl liner
    5) Hayward S244T

19. Back To Top    #19

Is your CC of 5 ppm correct, or should that be 0.5 ppm? If it is 5, then that would explain the smell. Keep up with the shocking process until you meet all 3 criteria (in my sig).

20. Back To Top    #20

Sorry .5 is what the CC is.
    1) 36000
    2) Sand
    3) In Ground
    4) Vinyl liner
    5) Hayward S244T

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast