Getting chemicals balanced @ a "lower" cya level

Feb 17, 2012
Memphis, TN
new here and very thankful for this site cause getting my first pool up and ready was a breeze!
poolio, what I'm doing is getting the chemical balanced @ a "lower" cya level and using tablets until it rises near the max level of 50.
im a complete noob, so do the pool gurus feel this is too risky? since each tablet is around 2 cya, i figured as long as I keep an eye on the chemical balance, it should be fine and I wont have to pour liquid chlorine as often. <-- yes im already thinking of ways to be lazy without the risk of turning it green! :cheers:
here are the results from my test yesterday and yes the CH level needs to come up.
fc 8
cc 0
cya 30
ph 7.5
TA 90
CH 100

Re: BBB Method + 3" Tablets?

It sounds like you have a good grasp on what your doing, I might suggest a target CYA level closer to 40 ppm for now, unless you live in the sun belt, you can always bump it up more later if you think you need to. You may also want to save a few of the trichlor pucks for use when you go on vacation, etc.

Re: BBB Method + 3" Tablets?

sorry for the thread jack and thanks for the input Robbie and Isaac. I will bring the cya up and CH. from what I've read here, Fiberglass pools still need some sort of CH so I plan on bringing it up more over time. it is 10+yr pool so hopefully this help with the longevity.

Moved to a new topic. JasonLion

Welcome to TFP.

You are correct. Fiberglass pools need some CH. Not quite as much as a plaster pool but almost. I'd bump it up to about 200 ppm.
You should have gotten a recommendation from the mfg about the recommended CH level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.