Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Converting to SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Converting to SWG

Our current pool is without SWG. I'm interested in converting it to SWG. Couple of questions.

1. Initial cost
    2. Difficulty of installation to existing pump and sand filter.
    3. Time to convert water

Also, interested in putting a timer on the pump. Is it a difficult installation? Currently just have a switch to flip on/off, that also supplies the has heater.

Thanks for any suggestions
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Inground pool 29,000 gals

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Converting to SWG

Not nearly enough info.

1. Size of pool?

2. Pic of existing pump and filter

3. Instantaneous, if I understand your inquiry.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Most info can be found here: pool-school/salt_water_chlorine_generators

1. Depends on the system and size of pool guessing $1000 +/- $400
    2. If you have worked with PVC and electricity before, install is pretty easy. Generally just using solvent on 2 fittings and attaching the cell with union fittings.
    3. Just have to adjust CYA, add the salt, circulate the water for 24 hours, turn on the generator ... may take a few weeks to dial in the % setting and pump run time to get the correct FC levels.

Again, if you have done electrical work, adding a simple mechanical timer (Intermatic) is easy.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Converting to SWG

I'll put up pics of my set up when I get home.

Pool is in ground, 20x40

I've done very basic electrical work, light switches, ceiling fans, etc, etc. I've never done PVC work.
    Cincinnati, Ohio

5. Back To Top    #5

Converting to SWG

Here's my set up
    Cincinnati, Ohio

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

As the pool water exits the heater, you could disconnect that pipe and reroute it level accross and install the SWG there. I think I might even elevate that jandy valve up to the same level as the pipes to and from the heater just because I personally hate bending over (age has nothing to do with it ) I can't tell if that Jandy valve is threaded or not so you might lose it in the conversion.

Working with PVC is easy enough. There's a lot of people on here who are QUITE good at it (each thinks they are the best, but I think it is probably me ) and everyone will help walk you through it if you choose that route.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Converting to SWG

That valve turns in the fountains built into the decking. Would I just make a T junction between it and the heater or would it need to be down stream??
    Cincinnati, Ohio

8. Back To Top    #8

Here's the manual for the unit I installed. It shows where the cell goes. It's the last thing in line before the water goes to the pool.

I'm surprised a system of that size has no timer. You definitely need to get a timer.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Converting to SWG

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    Here's the manual for the unit I installed. It shows where the cell goes. It's the last thing in line before the water goes to the pool.

I'm surprised a system of that size has no timer. You definitely need to get a timer.
    Thanks, Does the link not show up using tapatalk?

No timer because the pool builder recommends running pump 24/7. I didn't know any better until I found this site.
    Cincinnati, Ohio

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ssrhodes6
    Thanks, Does the link not show up using tapatalk?
    Not showing up for me on standard browser either.

Quote Originally Posted by ssrhodes6
    No timer because the pool builder recommends running pump 24/7. I didn't know any better until I found this site.
    Yeah, you shouldn't need to run 24/7, but if you wanted too, then at least a 2-speed pump would reduce your costs. Otherwise a timer makes sense.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.