Trying to Learn!!

Apr 15, 2009
Louisiana
I have been trying really hard to actually understand all about the testing of our pool. My current test results are:

FC 17
CC 0
TC 17
TA 110
CH 280
CYA 95
PH 7.5 - 7.8

Parts of our pool walls feel slick - not all of them. The water looks clear. What am I doing wrong? I have read & read this forum for hours & feel as though I have learned a lot but then I still feel like a dummy! What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help!!

Well, if the walls are slick, that is likely algae and you need to go through the Shocking Your Pool process. Some other reading with more info: Defeating Algae
and
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Note that your CYA is pretty high and a 50% drain/refill would help tremendously. For a CYA of 95, the FC shock level you must maintain is 37ppm according to the Chlorine CYA Chart.

While at shock level, brush all the walls very well to help remove the algae.

The previous post does give a good recommendation to try the Overnight FC Loss Test to see if there is something living in the pool.

RobbieH said:
Using an SWG, a CYA level of 80 isn't unusual.

OOPS ... missed the SWG in the signature. CYA of 95ppm is still a little high. In either case, the FC require shock value is above 30ppm ... if you confirm the presence of algae from the OCLT.

Okay did the OCLT and chlorine is at 18. We turned the SWG down to 35% to see if that will lower chlorine level. TA 110
CH 280
CYA 95
PH 7.9

Any suggestions on my slick walls? Really want to get a good grip on all of this! Thanks!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, well sounds like you did it correctly, you did not mention the night test in your previous post. That said, the FC should not have gone up ... that is not possible if the SWG was off ... maybe the pool was not fully mixed for the night test. Was the pump on all night? I would suggest trying the OCLT again, although seems like you should be fine. How does the water look?

Really before continuing, you should decide if you are going to drain some of your pool to get the CYA down a bit. And then get all the levels straightened out.

And keep all your posts here for continuity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.