Pool sinking on filter side

May 29, 2012
Tampa, FL
Hello. I am new to this board and hopeful that someone can help. We bought a Summer Escapes 18'x48" above ground pool two weeks ago. After spending way to much time assembling the pool and getting the GFI installed, it was finally time to fill it up. We swam this entire weekend. The more we swam (and the more it rained), the more the pool sunk into the ground on the filter's side. There is a noticeable difference between water heights. What do we do? It doesn't feel unsteady; however, it seems like that much pressure on one side would make it collapse. I'm terrified that 5,000 gallons of water rushing out at once will damage our neighbors yards (we live close to one another). Also, I read that draining can damage the pool. Is there anyway to drain some of the water and build the ground in the sinking area back up? If we don't jump and just float around on rafts, is there still a high chance of collapsing? It's just the two of us and I really don't think we'd be able to lift the pool and move it across the yard to re-level it's current spot. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The good news is that draining a Summer Escapes won't hurt it. They are just like the intex pools and both are able to be taken down for storage. The bad news is that you will likely be draining it to fix this problem. The pool needs to be level all the way around within one or maybe two inches. It needs to be sitting on virgin ground meaning that you should dig down until your site is level and not try to raise the site with any filler. Each leg, if it has legs, should sit on a paver of some sort buried flush into your newly level sight. It's a lot of work but o so worth it. If you can post a couple of pictures it will help the experts around here give you the best advise. People are really knowledgeable and friendly here.

I was afraid of that. The ground under the filter area is really soft from all of the rain. Attached are pictures. The dry one (through screen) is from the day it was assembled. The rest are from today (cover on/raining).

Thanks for the fast reply.

Attachments

• pool_day1.jpg
    pool_day1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 674
  • pool_rain.jpg
    pool_rain.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 660
  • pool_rain2.jpg
    pool_rain2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 659
Leveling concrete pavers, (4 inch thick is best to support the weight without breaking) will distribute the weight over a greater area than the small plastic feet the supports have at the bottom.

It sure looks to me like you need to pull the plug on that pool before you bend or break something and ruin the whole thing.

Also while you have it down, it would be a very good idea to remove the grass and first few inches of top soil, that combined with the concrete paver will help prevent your current situation.

I would definately consider taking the whole pool down, removing the sod and setting pavers. What you need to do is get down to a solid base and the pavers under each leg will give more support for the whole pool in general. I know it sounds daunting but these pools need level solid ground to sit on. You situation is why it's recommended.

Oh my, your pool is freaking me out! It's gonna blow right soon... right over and whoosh! There goes your neighbor's yard and perhaps a basement to boot.

Drain it right away, and as previous responders have suggested, make darn sure the base is level and compacted before filling again. Make sure the legs are perfectly straight/vertical with a level and fix them before too much water is in if they shift (check while filling, multiple times). Pavers will help, but not till it's actually level and the pavers must also be on a solid base. We used small wood pads instead of pavers, they seem to be holding up well 3 years later. It's also better to dig down than to import material to the low side to make it level, by the way. We use a large level to check the pad before the pool is laid out that is swung from center all round the circle (like a bulldozer). Oh, and dancing kid feet to compact. I have a video of kids doing this somewhere...

Oh my! I knew it was bad, but wow! Do you guys think it can make it until Thursday afternoon? We are home to drain it then.

Thanks again for all of the feedback. We're going to tackle re-leveling it this weekend. Docchop1 - thanks for the forum on leveling tips. Clearly we need them.

Personally I wouldn't wait another minute, the longer it sits there the more it is going to sink, settle, or if a high wind comes along maybe even blow over, if it doesn't fall over from being so unlevel.

If you continue to wait you may end up having to purchase a new pool, and possibly pay damages to neighboring properties, or even your own.

With that much water it is what I would consider Dangerous!

If you are away from home, perhaps call a neighbor and ask them if they could hook up the hose and pull the plug for you?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep. What Samantha Sabrina said. Dangerous. Drain now. Like... NOW. Go... hook up a long hose and get it out of there, away from property. Draining doesn't take much, if any babysitting. You can do it while you sleep tonight. The pool will be far more stable when empty and if it does fall over... no bad stuff happens.

I'd also throw a hose in it tonight and then deal with it on Thursday.

Good that you got the pump on it then. You can double drain by using the hose drain in the pool, and/or adding a hose over the side and go to the other end and SUCK!

(I'm not kidding... it'll flow out fine and keep going for a long while with this method)

Not to be rude, but don't blame a storm, in the 'pool day 1' pic you can clearly see it's not level, the storm simply accelerated what was destined to happen.
Learn from what happened and correct it, use the down time to research proper install procedure and don't cut corners.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.