Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBB Method + 3" Tablets?

1. Back To Top    #1

BBB Method + 3" Tablets?

If I'm wanting to use the BBB method, do I still need to buy and use the 3" tablets in my chlorinator? Sorry if this is a dumb question!
    25,000 Gallons - IG (Cement) - Brand new Pentair Sand Filter & Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBB Method + 3" Tablets?

Nope, because they will drive up your CYA. Liquid chlorine/bleach/Clorox takes its place.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

No, you don't have to. We don't generally recommend using chlorine tablets, though there are occasional uses for them.

There are no dumb questions. We all started out not knowing the answers. The way to learn is to ask
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Awesome, thanks guys! I still have a few tablets left, but I'll look forward to NOT having to ever buy them again!
    25,000 Gallons - IG (Cement) - Brand new Pentair Sand Filter & Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you know where your CYA level is at right now?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

i'm trying a hybrid approach where i use my 3" tablets only from may-september (5 months) and bleach the remaining 7 months in hopes of controlling the rise in cya.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by brg88tx
    i'm trying a hybrid approach where i use my 3" tablets only from may-september (5 months) and bleach the remaining 7 months in hopes of controlling the rise in cya.
    That could work if you have a DE/sand filter and backwash a lot and/or we get good rainfall here in SE Texas.

I have a cartridge filter and with last year's drought I hit a high CYA number pretty fast using 3" tabs. I switched to a SWG within a few months after start up. So far, I've had a very good experience with my SWG.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Tablets are "bad" only if you throw them in blindly. BBB is about understanding what you're putting in your pool and why. As long as you understand the Chlorine/CYA relationship, and don't let your CYA get out of control, there's nothing wrong with using stabilized chlorine.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

9. Back To Top    #9

As another data point, I regularly keep 3" tabs in my floater in the pool. Helps maintain chlorine levels as I don't test all that regularly and don't swim all that often either unfortunately. We have lots of rain here in South Florida so I am usually draining a full pool and that helps keep the CYA in check. I also have a rising pH issue due to my spa spillover and the acidic tabs help control that issue as well. So, as mentioned above, BBB is about understanding what you are putting in your pool and why. For me, the tabs are a great solution and solve several issues.
    15x30 inground concrete pool w/spa and spillover, all under screen enclosure
    Hayward C1200 StarClear Plus Cartridge Filter and Hayward Navigator V-Flex
    Jandy AquaPure 1400, Laars LX400 propane heater w/120 gal above-ground tank
    Jandy VS FloPro 2.7 HP Pump VSFHP270JEP; FlowVis FV-C Flow Meter
    Jandy iAquaLink and OneTouch controller w/PDA remotes; JVA for draining pool