Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yellow Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Yellow Water

This is the fourth season using a SWG. Yesterday I started to fill up the pool. Intex 18' x 48". When there was about 500-600 gallons in it, I started to add salt. The salt I had was left over from last year and the bag was not sealed. The bag sat in my shed over the winter. Can the salt change in a way that would cause the water to change yellow? I would greatly appreciate any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yellow Water

Welcome to TFP!

Not that I know of. Did you add anything else to the pool, or just salt?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you filling from a well?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Nothing. I added two different Morton salt bags that were left open for about 7 months. The two totaled about 50 lbs. I kept adding water and the color does not seem to dilute. Any thoughs?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yellow can come from iron in the water. But there should never be iron in salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Will filtering sort out the problem, or will there have to be an additive? Sorry if a basic question, I am new to pool problems. I have been fortunate enough to have a trouble free pool for three years.

7. Back To Top    #7

I am not filling from a well. I have a city source.

8. Back To Top    #8

It is difficult to tell. You might have some very fine particles in the water causing the color, in which case they might well filter out, or it might be iron, in which case you need to use sequestrant. Or it might be something organic, in which case chlorine will break it down.

9. Back To Top    #9

I will start filtering and genertating tonight. I will post my results if any. Thank you very much for the quick response!

10. Back To Top    #10

My pool is somewhat yellowy because of the massive pollen output here. I don't know where you are but I'm just putting that out in case it's an issue in your area. I've never seen it this thick, but the mild winter we had I think is the reason why.

Best,
    Jan
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

11. Back To Top    #11

was the salt iodized?
    18 x 33 x 54 Brothers Three Sharkline Navigator Above ground pool with Hayward EC-50 perflex earth filter with 1 hp motor, Hayward H series Low Nox 200 FDN heater, Hayward AquaTrol SWG. Pool was installed April 15, 2015 to replace an existing 30 year old pool that self destructed due to the hard Long Island freeze we experienced this winter.

12. Back To Top    #12

The salt was not iodized. I used Morton pool salt.

Update - I ran the filter all night and still no change. This issue bothered me too much, so I drained the pool and started over. The pool filled this afternoon and I added newly purchased salt. There were no issues with this new batch. The water was clear after the salt dissolved.

I have been in contact with a few people about this issue and cannot find out why the old unsealed salt turned the water yellow. Someone may soon be able to provide a scientific answer to this problem. Until that time, I will never use old salt again.

13. Back To Top    #13

It's possible that the salt contained YPS (Yellow Prussiate of Soda)(sodium ferrocyanide), which might be responsible for the yellow.

It might also be possible that the salt absorbed some other chemical that was stored nearby.

Note: Morton's site says that their pool salt does not contain additives, such as YPS. However, if the bags are old, they might contain an older formulation.
    Morton® Pool Salt is a high purity and fast dissolving salt designed for use in swimming pools that are equipped with Salt Chlorine Generator or automatic sanitizer systems. It is free of additives (i.e. YPS) that can cause staining to pool surfaces, to help care for your pool.
    http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-home ... -pool-salt
    http://www.mortonsalt.com/faqs/pool-salt-faqs

http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-home/pool-salt