New project! Going to fix parents' pool!

Apr 26, 2012
Well, as seen here - bought-a-foreclosure-fixing-pool-t43056.html - I reset and went BBB with mine own pool, and everything has turned out terrific! So, on to a bigger challenge...my parents' pool!

They have an IG plaster (smooth, not gunite) by Blue Haven, 15000-16000 gallons depending on how you guesstimate. It has a raised and attached spa that can drain into the main pool, one skimmer, two main drains, with a sunning ledge.

So I go to take a look, and it's making a bit of leaf tea, but more disturbingly is some algae that is only growing in the shadows in the pool...and it makes me think mustard algae! Water is clear, rest of pool just needs a brush and vacuum, but that algae is going to be the big test.

So, I do a quick CYA test to even decide where to start...and yeah, it's off the charts. If I had to guess (without doing multiple dilutions) I would peg it at 500ppm or thereabouts.

So, told the old man, gotta drain it. Do that and I can reset it into the best pool in town, but it starts will a full drain. They're talking it over, looking up how/when to call the city to let them know, and they'll decide by Friday.

Here's hoping they are willing to drain, and I get a new project!

(so jealous, they have a gas heater for the spa/pool, etc. Nice part was, Blue Haven built both of our pools, so they are both Hayward setups...all my tools and parts work on their stuff, lol.)

jblizzle said:
Obviously take care if you do a full drain to ensure that the local water table is low enough to not cause the pool to float out of the ground.
Understood. Las Vegas is pretty safe AFAICT. Foreclosures around here routinely leave empty pools for months. Never seen one float (that's gotta be something to see!).

Update:

Drained, scrubbed, unscrewed the returns (and fixed one), unscrewed the fiber optic lighting fixtures and pulled out....something organic....and growing.....

Refilled, and conveniently, at the 16000gal estimate, his pool needs 4lbs of CYA. Walmart sells a bottle of CYA that weighs....4lbs!

So added CYA, overdosed it with chlorine so nothing can take hold and start growing, and showed him the tests.

Went back Monday evening, and had HIM do the tests for a change. FC 5, pH 7.8, TA 180. We plugged it all into poolcalc, and I told him to dump to dump his two gallons of 14.5 MA in to drop the pH to get the TA to drop.

We'll be doing that a few times, I'm sure. CH was a little low (310) especially if you use the 2/3 of CH is actual calcium process, but we'll address it.

Water looks fine, he knows to skim and sweep and vacuum if necessary, and to not go to the pool store, not buy any solid chlorine sources, and stick with the dozen bottles of bleach I gave him (Albertsons had a sale!).

Going back tonight to check FC, pH, and TA to see what our next step is.

Overdue update:

Everything went perfect. I got them some borax, and we decided to do 40ppm (borax can be hard to find sometimes, and 40ppm took ten boxes!).

Keeping up with the chlorine and such. I brush it when I'm there, but I'm fairly sure Dad doesn't. Oh well, can't win them all.

He went swimming yesterday! He was in the pool three times through the day, so I am going to call this project a success!

(and no, I dont have pics)

brainchasm said:
(and no, I dont have pics)
Do you have pics? :twisted:

I keep thinking about how much fun an in-ground would be. My parents had one when I was younger, but have moved since. My dad is jealous that he didn't have these resources. Enjoy your project, sounds like fun!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.