Shocking with Cal Hypo

Jun 8, 2011
Ridgefield, CT
Our pool opened to a green swamp, which was bad enough, but the CYA levels were very low, as were the calcium levels. I have gotten to brining the CYA up, but have not yet adjusted the calcium yet (I am more concerned with shocking the algae). Is there any reason why I shouldn't consider shocking with cal-hypo instead of bleach so that I can take advantage of the fringe benefit of raising the calcium hardness?

Our calcium is around 110 right now and we have a gunnite pool. Last fall, we closed the pool with a calcium hardness of around 320.

RobbieH said:
I've done the same thing. It's a lot easier to carry, and if you need CH anyway, why not? You can use the bottom of Pool Calculator to estimate the effects of your CalHypo additions.

Exactly. It also has a much smaller footprint in my garage. I did check the Pool Calculator. I am not sure the cal hypo will get me to where I need to be, but I guess I can now use the supplemental calcium booster that the prior owner left behind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.