Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG -> CYA ?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG -> CYA ?

Just a little confused on the "optimum" CYA level for the pool with SWG. I "think" I understand that 70-80 is proper, but of course don't want to go to high. Looks like the FC Target is offset by the CYA. Pool look very good, but with my eyes, I see some cloudy/dull water that others don't see. Your professional/vast experience is requested!!! Thanks!!!!
    Numbers today:
    FC 3
    CC 0
    TA 85
    CH 180
    CYA 50-55
    Salt 3090
    Running Pump 12-daylight hours @ 30% SWG.
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: SWG -> CYA ?

I see some cloudy/dull water that others don't see.
    Then elevate your FC with Bleach up to about 15ppm or so just one time and see if that extra "shot" of FC clears it up....that's very easy and pretty cheap.

Secondly, you could do an OCLT to see if you still have organics in your pool.

If you are pretty sure you are not imagining the cloudiness, keep your pump running 24/7 trying to filter out any particles that may still be visible.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave!! Will do that. How about the CYA?

4. Back To Top    #4

The SWG will last longer and there will be less PH drift if you increase CYA as we recommend (70-80). You will need to raise the FC level up to the 4 to 5 level, but you will be able to turn down the percentage setting on the SWG and still maintain the higher FC level.

None of which has anything to do with the water being just a little hazy, which is a sign of unrelated problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Dave,Jason,...Bang..you guys nailed it again! Brought the FC up to shock and running filter 24/day clear it right up. OCLT and CC in great shape on day 2..worked fast! (a little shot of synthetic DE may have helped too) Just wanted to say thanks again!!!