Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Algae Bloom

1. Back To Top    #1

New Algae Bloom

I just noticed over the last two days that I have what look like several areas where algae is taking hold. I am going out of town for 10 days starting on Thursday so I only have about 48 hours to treat. Should I do what I can over that period or just wait until I get back in town?

Numbers from this morning:

FC 4.2
    CC 0
    PH 7.2 (currently lowering TA)
    TA 100
    CH 360
    CYA 50-60
    SALT 3000

Thanks in advance.

____________________________________________________________ ___________________
    21,000 gallon in ground rectangular plaster pool, Sta-Rite High Rate Sand Filter Model 82524-3, AO Smith SK1152 1.5HP motor w/ Sta-Rite bronze pool pump, Hayward Navigator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Algae Bloom

I forgot to add that the water looks very clear. Algae looks like many small black dots up close and when I brush with steel brush it turns into a brown cloud in the water.

____________________________________________________________ ___________________
    21,000 gallon in ground rectangular plaster pool, Sta-Rite High Rate Sand Filter Model 82524-3, AO Smith SK1152 1.5HP motor w/ Sta-Rite bronze pool pump, Hayward Navigator

3. Back To Top    #3

With visible algae you need to shock the pool. See the complete instructions in Pool School. Make sure to brush throughly everywhere while the FC is at shock level.

The 10 days away is going to present a challenge. 10 days is tricky to do without algae. Do you have a solar cover? Raising to shock level and putting on the solar cover might work. The other option would be to see if you have someone who could come over and add chlorine.

The final option is to do none of the above and deal with whatever happens when you get back.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I do not have a solar cover, but I'll see if my brothers can check and add chlorine while I am away. Is it not very likely I can beat the algae in 48 hours before I leave?

5. Back To Top    #5

Took me 2 weeks to get rid of a minor algae bloom in my pool due to the sellers not taking care of the pool before I took possession.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

The shock process can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Even if you did manage to kill everything in the next few days, without staying on top of the chlorine levels for the following 10 days would likely result in algae starting to grow again.

Is there a reason you want to rush the process in the next few days and not wait until you are back and can devote time to clearing it up?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the input everybody. I guess I will just wait until I get back and deal with the algae then. I thought I might be able to deal with it quickly before leaving (since there is minimal algae now), but that does not appear to be the case. Hopefully the algae doesn't get too much worse while I am away I can clear it up pretty quickly when I get back.

8. Back To Top    #8

One more note. As mentioned above the water itself looks great and I have 0 CC and almost no overnight chlorine loss. Shouldn't a have an issue with at least one of those variables given the presence of visible algae?

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, one could argue that the water does not look good if you see green

If you can see the algae, then you need to go through the shock process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I guess you are right.....But why don't I have any CC or overnight chlorine loss if I have algae? And more importantly, how will I know when to stop with the shock process if I continue to get no CC or overnight chlorine loss? Just shock until I visibly can no longer see algae on the pebbletec?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mcdickey
    But why don't I have any CC or overnight chlorine loss if I have algae?
    Generally speaking, CCs (monochloramines) are the result of the oxidation of nitrogen compounds such as ammonia, urea, etc. Chlorine kills algae by interfering with the organic cellular processes, the byproduct of which is simply dead algae. For more, read this.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok. I am back from vacation and I began the shock process on my pool Saturday morning. As I mentioned in my previous posts, the water still looked clear and I had no CC's prior to beginning the shock. I did definitely have algae on the Pebble Tec and it had gotten slightly worse during my vacation.

It is 48+ hours later now and I have used 18 182oz jugs of bleach and brushed the pool a total of 4 times. I can no longer see the algae on the Pebble Tec, but when I brush with the stainless steel algae brush I get small white clouds in the water. Prior to beginning the shock the cloud would be green or brown when I brushed. Given that I already had 0 CC and 0 OCLT prior to beginning the shock process how do I know when to stop? My water is already clear. Do I need to keep going until nothing comes up at all when I brush? Or is the white stuff dead algae that the filter still needs to clean out?

13. Back To Top    #13

Reread Shocking Your Pool for the 3 tests you have to pass before you stop shocking. (You seem to know them). You should re-verify you are passing all three now.

Odds are the clouds you are seeing is the dead algae.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks. I will test again for CC when I get home today and will check OCLT tonight and in the morning. If things are as I suspect I will have zero or close to zero on both of those two tests. The third test "And the water is clear" is more subjective. My water already looks clear and I do not see any algae on the Pebble Tec (although it is much harder to see algae on Pebble Tec versus white plaster). Maybe I'll let the FC drop slightly below shock PPM so I can get in with my goggles and do a thorough inspection of the pool. If it looks good after that I think (hope) I am done.