Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

Green pool!

We just bought a place that has an above ground pool. The previous owners had it looking very nice and now we've lived here about a week and a half and it is all green looking We have never owned a pool before, so are very new at it. I hope everyone can bear with me here. I did run my first water test, so I'll post that. Thanks in advance for your help!

Free chlorine between 1.5 and 5 I know this is pretty broad, but i couldn't tell much diff
    Combined chlorine 1.0
    Bromine 3.4-11.0
    PH 8.2

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: GREEN POOL

You need to shock your pool. Don't go to a pool store and ask about how to do this, follow these instructions:
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool

You are going to need a quality test kit. I recommend this one:
    http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

You need to know your CYA level also, it will affect how much chlorine you need to use during the shocking process.

Welcome to the forum, be prepared to show some patience during the shock process!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

If your pool is a chlorine pool, the bromine test is not used, and you need to know your CYA level to take action. Check out
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...efeating_algae

Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Shocking Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

What is the CYA level??:/

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, I see it's explained in ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

You'll have to measure that and report back! It might be beneficial for you to take a water sample to a pool store, BUT, I don't trust their results generally, especially for CYA. The pool store might call it "stabilizer". It buffers your free chlorine, so you need to know that level to know how much chlorine to add to shock your pool.

You can learn more in Pool School, specifically under the ABC's of Pool Chemistry.
    pool-school/pool_water_chemistry
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Lower your PH to low 7 range-----------NOW! Muriatic acid will get it done. THEN start the shock process.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

The test kit I have does not go up to shock level. Is there any other way to figure it or do I just have to buy a high priced test kit? Also I worry about putting too many chemicals in the water that will make it unhealthy. Is there anything I need to know about that besides following directions on the packages? I'm planning to just use household bleach to shock if I can.

9. Back To Top    #9

As JasonLion just said on another thread, purchasing a quality pool kit will be one of the best money-saving things you can do. You can just order the FAS-DPD test if that's all you need.
    http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html

Yes, use household bleach, make sure it's not scented or anything weird. Just bleach.

10. Back To Top    #10

If you plan on just using bleach (an idea I live by, by the way), buying a TF100 or K2006 will be the best investment you make. You'll want your own accurate tests to determine how to dose. The long term savings will (several-fold) make up for the upfront cost of the kit.

Don't even bother asking a pool store how much laundry bleach to put in your pool....
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by seriousnewbie
    Also I worry about putting too many chemicals in the water that will make it unhealthy. Is there anything I need to know about that besides following directions on the packages? I'm planning to just use household bleach to shock if I can.
    I would recommend NOT following the direction on any packages, but following the advice you get here. If you keep all the levels in the recommended ranges, your pool will be safe, clear, and the envy of the neighborhood. Liquid chlorine/bleach is the best form of chlorine to use to shock as it adds nothing else to the pool to worry about ... as you should be learning by reading through Pool School as it sounds like you are

You really do have to invest in a good test kit (or at least the FAS-DPD test) to accurately determine your chlorine levels for shocking. Until you can measure everything, you are just guessing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Like others have said, a good test kit like the TF-100 will more than pay for itself in what it saves you on guessing and wasted chemicals. Is it possible to shock your pool without a good test kit, the answer is yes, you can shock using just a cheap $10 OTO drop based chlorine test (I would not try it with strips though), but doing so is like driving a car with no speedometer, no mirrors and the side and rear windows painted black, you can kind of tell where your going, but not how fast your getting there, and there may be a few mystery bumps along the way.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

13. Back To Top    #13

Re: Green pool!

So will this kit do the job ok? http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-K-1515-A-C ... B00785UKZK
    And for lowering the ph I have some ph minus. I guess thats what I need? And how much? Our pool is approx. 8,600 gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

That will add the FAS-DPD test to test for FC and CC, but you still do not seem to have a method to determine the CYA level ... which is critical.

Either the K-2006 or the TF-100 (from TFtestkits.net) are the complete test kits we recommend.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

The kit you showed would work in a pinch if $$$ are tight, but with as small as those bottles are you would need another one very soon. Compare it to the FAS-DPD kit that TFTestkits sells (they both use Taylor brand reagents) http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html see how much larger the bottle of R-0871 is (this is the reagent you use the most drops of while testing). If $$$ really are tight TF testkits does make the TF-50 http://tftestkits.net/TF-50-Test-Kit-p55.html, but again your likely to need to buy refills midway through the swim season.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~