Yellowish Stain on Ganite Pool

tdean

Jun 2, 2010
I have a yellowish rusty stain in a few spots in my pool on the walls. It is a ganite, 20K gallon pool, newly finished last year. All the chemicals are testing correctly and also tested correctly at pool store, and pool is very clear. I tried the Mustard Algae solution from the pool store yesterday, but no change. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Try placing a vitamin C tablet on the stain for 30 seconds to a minute and see if the stain fades or vanishes. If it does then it is an iron stain, either from iron in the water or from an iron bearing inclusion in the natural stone, and can be removed locally with vitamin C or everywhere with an AA treatment.

I didn't notice any change in the stain with the vitamin C. I had some Algaezone plus, which I put a few ounces in the pool to see if that does anything. Very frustrating since I had the ganite refinished last season and getting this yellow stain now. Hopefully see a difference tomorrow.

I understand your pain... I also had my 22k gallon gunite pool replastered last fall then closed for the season. I have a yellowish/brownish stain on a large section of my pool floor also. I tried the chlorine puck and Vitamin C experiments which showed no effects to me or my wife's eye. When I had my plaster redone I also had my concrete coping replaced with natural rock of a orangish/brownish color which I am wondering if it has some iron inclusions which has stained the pool floor. Needless to say I am planning on giving the pool a citrus acid treatment in the next couple of weeks to see if that wont at least lighten the stain. Either way again I understand your pain...

I retried the vitamin C and let it sit a lot longer and the area that it was looks bluer. Now since the stains is in a large areas i cannot just place Vitamin C tablets throughout the pool. What is the AA treatment? Should i try that? The side of the pool that has the stains, has trees that drop leave, branches and acorns. It seems like when the acorns fall in the water, I get more stains from that. Could that be the cause?

Hawgzilla said:
I understand your pain... I also had my 22k gallon gunite pool replastered last fall then closed for the season. I have a yellowish/brownish stain on a large section of my pool floor also. I tried the chlorine puck and Vitamin C experiments which showed no effects to me or my wife's eye. When I had my plaster redone I also had my concrete coping replaced with natural rock of a orangish/brownish color which I am wondering if it has some iron inclusions which has stained the pool floor. Needless to say I am planning on giving the pool a citrus acid treatment in the next couple of weeks to see if that wont at least lighten the stain. Either way again I understand your pain...
Did you try the citric acid treatment? Did it work? What does it entale?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.