Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to remove pollen from bottom of pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to remove pollen from bottom of pool?

I am having problems removing pollen from the bottom of my new pool. I am using the PoolCleaner 4x to vacuum out the pollen, but the pollen passes through the cartridge filter and through the returns back into the pool. I have cleaned the cartridge filters a couple of times and cartridge unit, but still no luck.

My kids held skimmer sock in front of the returns to capture the pollen, but it only captured some of it.

I have not tested the water yet, but it looks crystal clear.

Any suggestions on what to do?
    18 x 36 vinyl IG- 3.5 to 5 ft.- 20,000 gallaons, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward TriStar Dual Speed 1.5 HP pump, Hayward C3025 SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward SWG, Hayward Heat Pump 21104T, 2 inch PVC, 3 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 Low Suction (no main drain), Dedicated Suction for The Pool Cleaner 4x, Prologic 8 with Aquapod, 2 Colorlogic LED lights, (2) 16 inch sheer descents

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to remove pollen from bottom of pool?

If the filter is passing stuff back to the pool then maybe the cartridge has a tear in it or the unit isn't assembled correctly.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your reply.

I did not notice any tears in the cartridges, and I think I put it back correctly. I will check again, thanks.
    18 x 36 vinyl IG- 3.5 to 5 ft.- 20,000 gallaons, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward TriStar Dual Speed 1.5 HP pump, Hayward C3025 SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward SWG, Hayward Heat Pump 21104T, 2 inch PVC, 3 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 Low Suction (no main drain), Dedicated Suction for The Pool Cleaner 4x, Prologic 8 with Aquapod, 2 Colorlogic LED lights, (2) 16 inch sheer descents

4. Back To Top    #4

Pollen passing through the filter is usually due to a tear in the cartridge fabric, but can occasionally be caused by the cartridge not seating properly into the filter housing. In the unlikely event that you have a multi-position main valve (not common with cartridge filters) the problem could also be in the main valve.

It isn't always easy to spot torn filter fabric. It can be buried in one of the pleats where it isn't obvious expect to close examination.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you both very much for your help!!

It is fixed!

The filter plate was not seated correctly.

Thanks again!