Re-plumbing pad : alignment of pump?

SteveK

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2007
Central NJ
Hi all,
I'm in the middle of replacing my pump, filter, re-locating my electrical panel, and re-plumbing my equipment pad.

Long story short -- the skimmer and main drain lines coming up are short, not aligned, and not vertical. In spite of careful measuring, it looks like the intake manifold is dipping down about 10 degrees towards the planned pump location. :hammer: The result is that if I align the union prior to the pump inlet (to ensure good contact and no leak), the pump (Pentair Intelliflo) will not sit horizontally. It rests on the rear (motor) support and the wet-end support is about 3/4" above the pad. :oops:

I can place a shim under the pump to fully support the pump.

Question is -- will there be any issue with running the pump if it is not perfectly level horizontally? If I place the pump horizontally, the union's mating surfaces will not meet perfectly. I think this would cause an air leak and place strain on the union.

Re-doing the intake manifold would be problematic since 3 Jandy valves are already glued in-place. The pump's location isn't set in stone, so it is an option to re-work the planned pump/filter location on the pad & try to eliminate the problem that way. Just don't know if it needs to be done or if the pump will be fine if it rests at a tilt?

Any insights or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Pix are posted below. Please click on the thumbnail for larger image.

Front View of intake Manifold:

Full side view of intake manifold -- you can see the 'dip' to the right. The right edge of photo shows the pump inlet coupler.

Base of pump -- wet end is about 3/4" elevated; motor rests on rear support.

If it's no more than that I'd use a shim under the motor mount and not worry about it. While it won't look good it really won't hurt anything. Just keep in mind that the discharge is also not going to be vertical if you do that either.

Thanks for the response Dave....I've posted pictures showing the situation. Would appreciate if your thoughts are different after seeing the photos.

The vertical will be fairly short (about 6 inches or less). My filter's inlet is lower than the pump's outlet, so the vertical rise will be short, then a 90 degree elbow towards filter, and then I need to use a couple of 45's to reduce the outlet height to match up with the filter (Hayward Swimclear).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.