PB4 Booster Pump Troubleshooting

May 19, 2012
I hope someone can guide me on this one.. I have a Polaris PB4 3/4 hp pump for the cleaner. It is 7 years old, so maybe it has already lived its lifespan. It worked great yesterday (first timethis year) and now it just hums for about 30 seconds then shuts off. It gets hot too. My pool guy happened to be here and opened up the back and said maybe the ? brushes were gone, don't know what that means, however, he did say to get a new motor and he would install it. I checked online and a new motor was around $150-$160 and I found a new PB4 for just under $200.

So, is it really the motor?
Should I try something else to trouble shoot it?
Should I just order a new one?

Those motors don't have brushes. Just to give you an idea how astute your pool guy is.

If you take the back cover off and you can spin the shaft easily it could be the capacitor.

Did you try looking for the switch contacts referenced in this thread?

If it is the motor, I'd just get a new pump since the cost is so close between the replacement motor and a new pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.