Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PB4 Booster Pump Troubleshooting

1. Back To Top    #1

PB4 Booster Pump Troubleshooting

I hope someone can guide me on this one.. I have a Polaris PB4 3/4 hp pump for the cleaner. It is 7 years old, so maybe it has already lived its lifespan. It worked great yesterday (first timethis year) and now it just hums for about 30 seconds then shuts off. It gets hot too. My pool guy happened to be here and opened up the back and said maybe the ? brushes were gone, don't know what that means, however, he did say to get a new motor and he would install it. I checked online and a new motor was around $150-$160 and I found a new PB4 for just under $200.

So, is it really the motor?
    Should I try something else to trouble shoot it?
    Should I just order a new one?
    45k gallon,Hayward DE Filter,Inground,Plaster pool and spa,Natural Stone Waterfall. Hayward Pump,Superpump and PB4.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PB4 Booster Pump Troubleshooting

Thanks for all your help!
    45k gallon,Hayward DE Filter,Inground,Plaster pool and spa,Natural Stone Waterfall. Hayward Pump,Superpump and PB4.

3. Back To Top    #3

Those motors don't have brushes. Just to give you an idea how astute your pool guy is.

If you take the back cover off and you can spin the shaft easily it could be the capacitor.

Did you try looking for the switch contacts referenced in this thread?

If it is the motor, I'd just get a new pump since the cost is so close between the replacement motor and a new pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you! I will search the thread now...
    The pool guys kill me. I am so thankful I found this forum...

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm not sure where you live, but I would recommend craigslist.com for finding a replacement pump. You'll often find people moving and looking to unload their pool pumps/equipment for cheap...sometimes even FREE.
    24k gallon inground gunite with fibertech liner
    Cartridge filter 100 sq ft

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for all your help...I replaced the Capacitor and VOILA! it works perfectly! Thanks again!

7. Back To Top    #7

Glad it was that simple.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit