new technology versus old...

Jul 8, 2007
Sacramento, CA
My pool pump motor is LOUD. It's old (I assume from the 80's) and I've had it rebuilt once...three years ago (I've lived here for eight years).

It's a Challenger/Pac-Fab pool pump (1.5 hp).

I think its time for a replacement...though not yet sure I can afford it. I've talked with a trusted friend who works for a motor (HVAC, pools, ect) rebuild/repair company. He tells me the new motor/pumps on the market are very fancy, with timing technology including in the unit. So while the new stuff is quiet, there is no repairing it should it ever break down.

Anyone out there have any thoughts on this? I don't want to be a bad neighbor by polluting the 'hood with the sound of my motor.

Odds are you would benefit with even a new single speed, but a 2 speed pump could give you a significant savings on electricity for only a little more upfront cost.

The newer variable speed pumps are spendy and some or all of them include built in electronics.

The 2 speed motors just need a simple mechanical switch to select speeds. I just installed a Superflo 1 HP to replace a dead Hayward 2 HP ... the low speed is virtually silent, still gives me good skimmer action, and uses way less power than my old pump.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

The variable speed pumps are repairable, though that means replacing entire modules instead of individual parts.

For most people a two speed pump is a better deal financially. If your electric rates are below $0.20/kwh you are better off going with a two speed. If your rates are above that a variable is usually a better deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.