May 28, 2012
Austin, TX USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello
So glad I found this site! I am on reading overload & will attempt to summarize my ???
Maintained pool myself for 5 years using a tri-chlor feeder the whole time. Drained and filled existing pool in 2006, replaced cartridges when purchased new to me. Of course, CYA readings were always high. So drained again 06/2011. CYA continues to test at 100 : ( Never had any major trouble, acid and cal-hypo always served my needs. Thanks to TFP I now have knowledge.

5/10/2012 First sighting/testing of black algae. I followed the bottle balance instructions, added 8 oz Silvertrine algaecide. I still have some spots but now must tackle balance problems. My total dissolved solids were 950 but are now 1050.

5/20/12 Found this site and have been using chlorox bleach 6% ever since.

5/26/12 PM readings were; FC=4.4, pH=8.1 ALK=127 CYA=100
It was shock night and I had been studying TFP. So based on my high CYA and Chlorine/CYA chart I "superchlorinated" with 2.3lbs calcium hypo 52% at night.

5/27/12 AM FC=10, pH=8.5 ALK=132 I added 32oz muriatic (31.45%) acid. Swam in the evening.

5/28/12 AM FC=2.1, pH=7.3 ALK=70 I added 1G chlorox & broadcast 8oz sodium bicarb.
5 years ago bought sodium bicarbonate always stored in cool dark place but never had to use it, until today. I circulated, we swam and even turned on the waterfall today in clear water but noticed a lot more white scaling then usual on blue tile where Jacuzzi spills into pool.
5/28/12 PM FC=3.5, pH=6.8, ALK=38 SCARY!
Water is still clear, hardness is at 325 but holiday is over, won't be swimming. Might I expect green in AM?

What took ALK away?
Remind me is the proper order; ALK then chlorine, then pH?
Must bring ALK up immediately, how much can I broadcast at once?
Do I have to wait 3 days between bicarb applications?

I do realize I will now have pH drift. I feel so defeated, I have chemistry and normally rely on AquaChek strips for testing but now I need a TF100! I realize I need to drain to bring CYA down, but in the past I have had balanced water and bring chlorine down before I drain to water lawn/s.

Thank you in advance for your wise response : )

I think you have some testing errors. Your pH went from 8.1 on 5/26 down to 6.8 yesterday yet you have added nothing to the water that would have had any affect on pH. If you are still using strips, that's a classic case of why they are so worthless.

Your pH is FAR more important than your TA. You need to test it accurately somehow and keep it in the 7's.

Chlorine is ALL important and it looks like you need some but I can't tell you how much because you don't report your CYA level.

While you are thinking about a kit (you REALLY need one) please post some better results (pool store is probably better than what you have) and be sure it includes CYA.

Reactions: capricetx
Last night (on overload) I did nothing but replace some water, this AM water is a bit cloudy.
AquaChek test was FC=3.8, pH=7.5, ALK=117
I am pretty sure CYA is still 100 and CH is 325.

I will take a water sample to the pool store for a full test. For now I will add 96oz bleach to raise FC

Is this an acceptable order of priority - any better suggestions?
Balance
Reduce CYA to 50 by draining
Balance
algaecide
Then a OCLT test

Thanks for the responses. I do need accurate test results to implement the knowledge I have gained from this fine site and feel fortunate to have found TFP!

Is this an acceptable order of priority - any better suggestions?
Balance
Reduce CYA to 50 by draining
Balance
algaecide
Then a OCLT test

1. Drain/refill to get CYA to correct level

2. Once pool is refilled, post test results...importantly pH, TA, CH, and CYA

3. Adjust pH to 7.4 or so

4. Shock your pool exactly as the article in Pool School describes

Reactions: capricetx
To summarize the pool store test results were different than mine, particularly FC;
FC=8.0
Total Chlorine=8.0
CC=0.0 ppm
pH=7.4
Hardness=275
ALK=90
CYA=90
Copper=0
Iron=0
TDS=950
Phosphates=200 down from 400 on 5/22/12

So time to get new test kit, drain per The Pool Calculator, refill and test new.
With limestone edge pool hubby is extremely concerned doing BBB - should we seal when we drain?
We rinse every time we have pool use and I submerge bottle when adding bleach due to salt.
Thanks again for all input received.