Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: SWG/Sand Filter combo questions

  1. Back To Top    #1

    SWG/Sand Filter combo questions

    Just switching from a SWG with cartridge filter pump combo unit to a new SWG and separate Sand Filtration system - have a couple questions:

    1) Is there not a skimmer basket set up with this system that sits in the pool? Does the basket inside the filtration system serve that purpose now?

    2) The SWG handbook says to run a pump for 24 hours after adding salt, but the Sand Filter Pump guide says not to run the pump for more than 12 hours. Any advice for initial setup?

    This is a whole new set up for me and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go - appreciate all the advice so much!



    Jenn
    Terre Haute, IN
    18 X 48 Intex Ultra-Frame AG
    Intex Saltwater Generator/sand filtration system

  2. Back To Top    #2
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: SWG/Sand Filter combo questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jennpleez
    1) Is there not a skimmer basket set up with this system that sits in the pool? Does the basket inside the filtration system serve that purpose now?
    Yes, but it your return is below the water it doesn't really skim the water surface. Good links for intex owners here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/usefu...rs-t29612.html
    Quote Originally Posted by jennpleez
    2) The SWG handbook says to run a pump for 24 hours after adding salt, but the Sand Filter Pump guide says not to run the pump for more than 12 hours. Any advice for initial setup?
    The reason to run for 24 hours is to help the salt dissolve and disperse. What filter pump do you have? I think whatever pump/filter it is, it would be fine to run this first time for 24 hours. The 12 hours is probably most likely focused on typical adequate filtration.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: SWG/Sand Filter combo questions

    The link above didn't work for me but I found the post I believe. Thank you!

    My pump/filter is the index sand filter pump - I was wondering if that was the case with those instructions. (finding several lacking "instructions" with this set up)


    I'm confused about the skimmer - last year, when I still had the original SWG that came with the pool, there was a little basket that hung over the side of the pool. It was level with the surface of the water and had a hose that connected below the surface with the hole there that led out to the filter pump.
    Right now there is just a plastic sieve-type covering over that hole that leads out to the filter and SWG. (and yes, that is below the water surface)
    Do I take off the covering and replace it with the hose and skimmer basket that hangs over the side or does the new sand filter pump with the attached basket thingy on it replace that function somehow?
    Terre Haute, IN
    18 X 48 Intex Ultra-Frame AG
    Intex Saltwater Generator/sand filtration system

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: SWG/Sand Filter combo questions

    p.s. - I saw the link about the make shift skimmer thru the pool wall, but I'm not in this for that level of adaptations and such. That would be beyond my pooling scope and practice! lol
    Terre Haute, IN
    18 X 48 Intex Ultra-Frame AG
    Intex Saltwater Generator/sand filtration system

  5. Back To Top    #5
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: SWG/Sand Filter combo questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jennpleez
    The link above didn't work for me but I found the post I believe. Thank you!
    Sorry about that...fixed it in my post.

    Quote Originally Posted by jennpleez
    My pump/filter is the index sand filter pump - I was wondering if that was the case with those instructions. (finding several lacking "instructions" with this set up)
    You should be fine running it for 24 hours to get your salt mixed in.

    Quote Originally Posted by jennpleez
    Do I take off the covering and replace it with the hose and skimmer basket that hangs over the side or does the new sand filter pump with the attached basket thingy on it replace that function somehow?
    No, you still need a surface skimmer to get the same effect. If the old skimmer fits, I would try it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •