SWG/Sand Filter combo questions

Jun 15, 2010
Just switching from a SWG with cartridge filter pump combo unit to a new SWG and separate Sand Filtration system - have a couple questions:

1) Is there not a skimmer basket set up with this system that sits in the pool? Does the basket inside the filtration system serve that purpose now?

2) The SWG handbook says to run a pump for 24 hours after adding salt, but the Sand Filter Pump guide says not to run the pump for more than 12 hours. Any advice for initial setup?

This is a whole new set up for me and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go - appreciate all the advice so much!

Jenn

jennpleez said:
1) Is there not a skimmer basket set up with this system that sits in the pool? Does the basket inside the filtration system serve that purpose now?
Yes, but it your return is below the water it doesn't really skim the water surface. Good links for intex owners here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/useful-links-for-fellow-intex-pool-owners-t29612.html
jennpleez said:
2) The SWG handbook says to run a pump for 24 hours after adding salt, but the Sand Filter Pump guide says not to run the pump for more than 12 hours. Any advice for initial setup?
The reason to run for 24 hours is to help the salt dissolve and disperse. What filter pump do you have? I think whatever pump/filter it is, it would be fine to run this first time for 24 hours. The 12 hours is probably most likely focused on typical adequate filtration.

The link above didn't work for me but I found the post I believe. Thank you!

My pump/filter is the index sand filter pump - I was wondering if that was the case with those instructions. (finding several lacking "instructions" with this set up) :?

I'm confused about the skimmer - last year, when I still had the original SWG that came with the pool, there was a little basket that hung over the side of the pool. It was level with the surface of the water and had a hose that connected below the surface with the hole there that led out to the filter pump.
Right now there is just a plastic sieve-type covering over that hole that leads out to the filter and SWG. (and yes, that is below the water surface)
Do I take off the covering and replace it with the hose and skimmer basket that hangs over the side or does the new sand filter pump with the attached basket thingy on it replace that function somehow?

jennpleez said:
The link above didn't work for me but I found the post I believe. Thank you!
Sorry about that...fixed it in my post.

jennpleez said:
My pump/filter is the index sand filter pump - I was wondering if that was the case with those instructions. (finding several lacking "instructions" with this set up) :?
You should be fine running it for 24 hours to get your salt mixed in.

jennpleez said:
Do I take off the covering and replace it with the hose and skimmer basket that hangs over the side or does the new sand filter pump with the attached basket thingy on it replace that function somehow?
No, you still need a surface skimmer to get the same effect. If the old skimmer fits, I would try it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.