Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it worth it to add salt to a pool with borates added

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it worth it to add salt to a pool with borates added

Saw this thread and was curious.
    Hotrod30 asked "Is it worth it to add salt to a pool with borates added?"
    Didn't see an answer so I was wondering what do you all think?
    Thanks.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can you add salt....

I have both in my pool. Borates added last year, then added salt this winter when I installed the SWG. Borates improved water feel, salt improved it further. It's just getting to be the first swim season with the salt in, I'll get some opinions tonight. We both love it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you add salt....

Will the added salt help with keeping algae at bay without an swg? Also, does it seem to help with keeping aquatic critters from invading? I'm going to add salt to my pool soon!
    17 x 32 feet in-ground - 22,500 gallons - Vinyl liner
    Haywood sand filter (Model TBD) - Pump (TBD)
    Hot Spring spa
    Total noob...

4. Back To Top    #4

Last year we added borates to the pool per TFP instructions and really liked it.
    This year we had some pockets of algae on the pool bottom, but did not have the green water as in previous years, like when we opened it in June last year when the hot weather was already here.
    This weekend we added 4 bags of 40# Morton Solar salt. The kids stirred it up and it dissolved in less than an hour. Today the water feels nice, warm, soft, and looks sparkly. Not sure if the salt had anything to do with it, but I know following BBB guidelines had everything to do with it.

Thanks to everyone at TFP!
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

5. Back To Top    #5

It won't help with the algae. I don't know about the critters.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit