Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you add salt to a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you add salt to a pool

w/out having a SWG? or is that asking for trouble? I love the way the water feels with a SWG. Just not investing in one quite yet. Maybe next year.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    *~ Laura ~*
    27x52 Aquasphere Conquest AGP (approx.17,100 gal)
    1 HP Pentair Dynamo Pump & SD-40 Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    BBB User- Salt Added

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sure, you can add salt without getting a SWG and it will improve the water feel. Usually 2000 ppm of salt will do it, but you can adjust that for your personal preference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks Jason!

Ok now where is the best place to get this salt, what kind and how much should I add, etc.?
    *~ Laura ~*
    TF-100 Test Kit
    BBB User- Salt Added

4. Back To Top    #4
    You can use solar salt, sold for water softeners. You want the crystals in the blue bag, 99+% pure salt without any additives. Avoid rust/iron fighter/remover. Places like Lowes and Home Depot have it.

I suggest adding one bag at a time, giving it a day to dissolve, and seeing how you like it. Then try another and so on and see how things go. Another approach is to get the AquaChek salt test strips, measure your current level, and add salt to about 2000 ppm.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    We added salt to our pool last season and loved the way the water felt. Our pool is 12,000 gallons and we added 4 bags of the solar salt. If you do this on a bright sunny day the salt crystals on the bottom of the pool will sparkle and you'll feel like you're swimming over a layer of diamonds. I'm looking forward to this year's 'salt day'.

AnnaK
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Cool thanks! Would I just continue to test everything else as I usually would. And just make adjustments as needed to make sure all my chem levels are in the proper range as if I wasn't using the salt?
    *~ Laura ~*
    TF-100 Test Kit
    BBB User- Salt Added

7. Back To Top    #7
    The salt will add some chlorine but it appears to be minimal. I never noticed any difference in my tests and made no special adjustments to my water chemistry.

AnnaK
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

8. Back To Top    #8
    We did it for years before we went to a SWG. We loved it!!!
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

9. Back To Top    #9
    What are the pro's & con's to just adding salt to a pool? Will it make the water softer? Also how much should I add to a 10K pool?
    Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Salt improves the "feel" of the water. The experience is subjective, not everyone notices it, but many people like it a lot.

The disadvantages are the small extra expense and a small increase in the risk of corrosion. Corrosion is usually trivial, but some kinds of softer natural stone might be affected over a long period of time.

You can add one bag of salt at a time till it feels nice, or get some salt test strips and find out your current level and the adjust to somewhere around 2000 ppm. You can calculate amounts of salt using my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature.

11. Back To Top    #11
    One more question. Will the salt help to reduce my CH levels. Right now, due to the hard water here in Arizona, my CH is approx 475.
    Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.

12. Back To Top    #12
    No, salt has nothing to do with calcium.

13. Back To Top    #13

I would recommend testing your salt levels before adding any. I have a 30,000 gallong pool and was about to add a SWG, so I bought 20 -40lb bags of salt from Lowes (the pool calculator shows I needed 753 lbs). I added 10 bags to the pool and let it mix for a couple of days. I checked the salt level and I'm currently at 3100 PPM (which is good for the SWG) I'm glad I didn't add all 18 bags else my levels would have been sky high. Over the past few years my salt levels must have been high already without me knowing. That was pretty stupid not testing the salt level before adding.

Just a tip. Also my DE filter is Stainless steel and there could be potential corrosion problems with high salt so I'm rethinking whether I'm going with the SWG or not. Heck the salt is in the pool already anyway.
    36,000 gallon IG Gunite (40 x 20), 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Pentair Nautilus NS-48 DE filter, 2 skimmers, 12 - (2 x 20) Fafco Solar Panels (Goldline controller not hooked up yet), Hayward Swimpure Plus SWG, Blue Pearl Robot cleaner. New Dr. Wellness X-12 standalone Lifestyle Spa.

14. Back To Top    #14
    Forgive me but, wouldn't the salt have a softening effect on the water?
    Thanks

15. Back To Top    #15

Not really. It gives the "Softwater feel" but does not create soft water. It's not removing calcium hardness.
    A water softener exchanges calcium ions with sodium.
    Adding salt makes it closer matched to the salinity level of your body, which gives it the improved feel.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

16. Back To Top    #16
    I would really LOVE to do this but haven't because I was afraid to with an above ground...but I see AnnaK has! Anna, have you noticed anything different since you added the salt? Plants dying near the pool? Dry salt on the deck? Pool rusting away?! I'm from Ft. Lauderdale, and know the salt in the air is hard on the cars and such there, but couldn't tell you if the air there has more salt in it than your pool water or not.
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

17. Back To Top    #17
    Ocean water has about 35,000 ppm of salt. Pool water would be between 1,000 and 4,000, no where near as salty.

18. Back To Top    #18

We certainly noticed no ill effects from adding the salt. We put in 80 lbs. last year and will be adding some more this year. Love the feel of it, and as Anna says, the sparkle is great!
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

19. Back To Top    #19
    Oh I am so going to do this when we get back from vacation in 2 weeks!
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

20. Back To Top    #20
    We did this over the last couple of weeks. Got the test strips and our initial test was hard to read, near zero. Added 2or 3-80lb bags over two evenings (had my son poor into skimmer a little at a time, also placed a bag on the steps and made a large slice in the bag - 3 minutes to dissolve). We normally get 80 lbs bags of salt for the water conditioner. Next test read over 2200, but water was cold so I couldnt really feel anything diff. Added one more 80 lb bag, test read over 3000-done. Water feels much better, less eye redness even after 3 hrs of swimming, and my kids even remarked that they didnt need the gogles anymore. We do not have a swg yet.

Wish I did this last year LOL
    Kply
    35,000 In-Ground Concrete/Plaster with spillover spa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast