dumb question of the day!

8corneflakes said:
I just starting doing this about a week ago. I rinse before and after swimming and then condition. It is better. So much hassle though. And the water is cold.
ah the things we must do for beauty. :) You could use a spritzer before swimming to avoid using cold water, then for the after swim rinse, set a bucket of water out while you are swimming. It will warm up sitting out in the sun. Or coil up a long hose so you can rinse with the warmer water inside the hose.

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Please pardon any typos!)

this has really cleared things up for me. Last question (I promise). If I 'salt' my pool this year and later we decided to switch to SWG, would we have to drain and refill the pool? I assume that if we didn't drain and re-fill, it is like CYA and after adding SWG, we would have double the salt. Only asking because my husband has too much on his plate to switch to SWG right now, but is certainly open to the idea down the road. His quote, "I'm just trying to get some grass to grow around this pool 1st! Gotta love a man with priorities :-D

No need to drain, unless something else is driving it like high cya or CH. You would just test your salt level and then add the extra needed to get the level up to the swg manufacturers recommended range (shoot for the low end...then add if needed).

I should probably mention I am assuming you would only go up to 2000 ppm salt max pre-swg. If you were to go up above 3500 ppm salt, some manufacturers swgs would not run at that high salt concentration, and you would need to do a partial drain/refill.

advice please. I have a NON-SWG 33,000 gal pool. I took my water in to get initial salt readings and this is what happened.

Pool store #1 tested water with a machine and got a reading of 610 ppm.

pool store #2 tested water with strips and got a reading 1500 ppm.

pool store #3 didn't have a test because an employee accidentally poured it down the drain and they won't get a new one in for six weeks.

I would like to add salt to my non-SWG pool but not sure what to do now. should I just buy my own salt test kit or is that stupid just for this year. If I should order my own, which one should I buy?

For a 33000 gallon pool 1 gallon of 6% bleach will raise salt 3.1 ppm according to the pool calculator. For you to have bleach as your only source of salt so far, you would have had to add 483.87 gallons of bleach to reach 1500 ppm of salt. By my lousy math skills that is 3.5 gallons of bleach a week for 8 years, with no draining or rain overflow. If my math is correct, ( and please someone who is better at math reasoning check this!) I would say the 610 ppm is closer to the true salt level for your pool.

wow, you took the back door way of figuring that out. the fact that you took the time to even think up an equation based on bleach usage to rationally figure this out is amazing. Using this info, pool water must be like wine...it just gets better with age. Thanks for giving me a benchmark.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.