Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Brown smudges on wall/floor of pool

Brown smudges on wall/floor of pool

Hi all. I'm new to this site but found it to be very useful. I'm having issues with brown smudges on the wall/floor of my pool. I've tried shocking the pool, brushing with brush, brushing with chlorine tab, and also vitamin C tablet to no avail. All my levels are in perfect range and were checked 2 days ago at Pinch a Penny. I've attached pics of what i see. Any help will be appreciated.

I have a 10k gallon in-ground gunite pool. Not sure of pump size. Levels are normal.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16'x48" Intex Ultraframe Pool, 5000 Gallon(54451EG)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Salt Water Chlorine Generator (54601E)
    Intex 2650 GPH Above Ground Pool Sand Filter Pump (56671EG)

Re: Brown smudges on wall/floor of pool

Welcome to TFP.

Telling us the levels are perfect does us no good. We need the actual numbers. And how you got them.

Try holding a tablet on a couple of the stains for a few minutes and see what happens.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

I'm sorry I don't have the printout of my levels handy right now. I take my water to the local pool store to get my levels checked every week and if they tell me I'm in the normal range, I discard their printout. I was letting a chlorine tablet lay on the spots for about a couple hours. When I removed it, the spot as well as the chlorine tablet turned purple. What the heck is going on in my pool?

That sounds like copper staining. It can be almost impossible to remove. You might want to invest in a Jacks stain identification kit.

Do you use any products that have copper in them (algaecide, 3-in-1 or 4-in-1 chlorine, mineral system, etc.)?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Since my last post, I've tried spot out from pinch a penny which worked for the most part. That, in combination with leaving a chlorine tablet on some of the darker bigger spots, cleared most of these smudges. But they are coming back again. Could these be caused by oak trees? Scrubbing does remove them. Again, pinch a penny continues to tell me my levels are perfect. What to do?

Spot out is just granular Trichlor. If it worked, your stains are most likely organic. Though you may have some metals and organics mixed. I still would like a full set of test results.
    I also suggest you get the stain identification kit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

My levels are as follows:
    Total chlorine - 5.0 ppm
    Free chlorine - 5.0 ppm
    pH - 7.6
    Total alkalinity - 125 ppm
    Calcium hardness - 400 ppm
    Stabilizer - 100 ppm
    Total dissolved solids - 1200 ppm

My chlorine is a little high because I just shocked it a couple days ago. My alkalinity hasn't been out of range, but I have some muratic acid to get that back to normal range. I'm really starting to think that these stains my be from pollen left on the birdcage. Any thoughts?

Do some reading through pool school and you'll soon learn that your chlorine isn't high. It isn't even high enough for a CYA of 100.
    You'll also learn that you haven't even come close to shocking your pool. Your CH is on the high side an tds doesn't matter.

If the trichlor lightened them they certainly could be pollen.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator