Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My first test results and I am worried

1. Back To Top    #1

My first test results and I am worried

My water tested good a few weeks ago from the pool store and my family and I (including a 6 month old) have been swimming.

These are my first test results from home and I'm not sure how bad this is:
    FC 6.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 100
    CYA 50

I had the CYA at 90 about 3 weeks ago. My swg is set to 65%. Water is sparkly.

I think that I have followed the instructions and completed the tests correctly.
    16 x 32 inground with Tara Liner, 1 skimmer, 3 returns,
    1HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w booster pump
    Hayward SWG & Aqua Plus
    k-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: My first test results and I am worried

Pretty close to perfect! Why do you think it is bad?

FC and pH are just a bit high but not enough to adjust. Add that to your clear water and I think you're in for a great swimming season.

EDIT - I missed the CYA adjustment that JasonLion points out below...sorry
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Those numbers look reasonable. Though there are a few adjustments to make, there is nothing seriously wrong here.

I recommend lowering your PH to 7.2. That will help lower TA and give you more time until you need to add acid again.

I also recommend doing the CYA test again just to add a little confidence and then raising CYA up to between 70 and 90.

Chances are you can turn down the percentage setting on the SWG a little. Check FC in the evenings occasionally and as long as it continues to be well above 4 turn down the SWG % a little each day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The Mystery of the Missing CYA needs some detective work. If it's 50, and the water is clear, you're fine. pH may need some lowering in a couple days, not a big deal.

If you tested 90 and now you tested 50, something is wrong. 9944/100% probablility that one of the tests is wrong - the first one would be my guess.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I thought the TA was high and wasnt sure about the cc. I guess i wasted chems testing that one twice worried that it was 0.
    16 x 32 inground with Tara Liner, 1 skimmer, 3 returns,
    1HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w booster pump
    Hayward SWG & Aqua Plus
    k-2006 Test Kit