Bonding Above Ground Pool - Pool Pump 30' from Pool

Aug 28, 2009
I was doing some research into bonding pools.

I have an above ground pool that is currently installed below grade, with a 4-5' overdig, so not backfilled. The pool is effectively sitting on the ground as if it were at grade.

I didn't want the pool equipment close to the pool, so I put it about 30-35' away from the pool itself. I ran an UG 12gauge line out to the area where the equipment sits. There's a propane heater with igniter (plugged in), an Aqua Trol SWG, and a Hayward 1.5hp pump.

The only other metal near the pool is the legs of the plastic pool slide.

As I understand it, you really only need to bond the pool if the pool equipment/power is within 5', but I am confused about that.

Can someone please chime in and let me know what I should be doing with regards to bonding?

Bonding has nothing to do with how far away the equipment is located. Bonding needs to be done for all permanently installed pools, and in a few areas for temporary pools over some fairly small size.

For an above ground pool bonding is normally done by installing loop of copper wire 18" out from the water and 4-6 below grade, which is also attached to the metal frame (if the frame has any metal in it) in four places. This same wire also needs to run to the equipment pad and connect to the bonding lug on each pieces of equipment which has metal in contact with the water (pump, heater, SWG, etc).

JasonLion said:
Bonding has nothing to do with how far away the equipment is located. Bonding needs to be done for all permanently installed pools, and in a few areas for temporary pools over some fairly small size.

For an above ground pool bonding is normally done by installing loop of copper wire 18" out from the water and 4-6 below grade, which is also attached to the metal frame (if the frame has any metal in it) in four places. This same wire also needs to run to the equipment pad and connect to the bonding lug on each pieces of equipment which has metal in contact with the water (pump, heater, SWG, etc).

Thanks Jason, that's what I was hoping to learn about. Easy enough to make that happen.

You know, one more follow up question.

Given the pool has a liner, and there is NO metal attachment to the actual pool water (no ladders, plastic skimmer, etc.) How do you actually bond the water itself? It seems NEC says you should, but I don't have any logical way to do that.

They make various special fittings, basically hunks of stainless steel, that you can put in your plumbing to bond the pool water. One looks like a short piece of metal pipe, another is a metal plate that goes in the skimmer. One of those gets attached to the bonding wire to bond the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.